Duracoat question

BenY 2013

I was thinking about duracoating my rifle and had some questions. Can any duracoat finish get onto the bolt and the rifle function alright? I was wanting the bolt a different color. Also if I put on one coat on the barrel could another coat of a different color be put over it later on? Thank you for answering all my crazy questions:D

Yes you can duracoat the bolt.

My experience is that as long as you have enough tolerance between the bolt and raceways you will have no problems.

I think there is a time limit to apply duracoat over a previous coat, but I am not sure. At any rate it is best to blast with aluminum oxide first so if I was going to re-coat a rifle I would do that to remove the old coating. anyway.

Do some searches and there is a lot of info on Duracoat on the web. I tried my hand at it this winter and have been very pleased with the results. One piece of advice, think very carefully about how you will hold each part both while spraying and while it is drying.

Duracoat is dry enough to handle CAREFULLY after 20 -30 min. A second coat may be applied after 10 or 15 min. It is dry enough to mask for camo or other pattern after 2 or 3 hours or after 15 min if heated in an oven to 110F. It is considered dry enough to work with (re-install in the stock) after 24 hours. Any additional coats must be applied within 7 days of the previous coat for proper adhesion.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.