Fine tuning Strelok Ballistic calc

RocketDog

I'm shooting a 7mag loaded with 69.6 gr of H-1000, Berger Vld hunting 168gr bullets its pushing right around 2870 fps. The scope is a Vortex Viper HS-LR FFP 4x16 with 1/2 moa adjustment. I entered everything in to the calculator and as accurately as possible to start with, I then zeroed my gun at 100 hundred.

According to the app I was suppose to adjust my scope 1.63 moa for 200 yards. I turned my turret 1.5 and was high so I went down to 1.0 moa and was right on. At 300 it called for 4 moa there again I was high, I went down to 3.0 moa and was right on.

I've been messing with every combination I can think of with the calc to get me in close proximity but cant seem to get anything close. I change FPS, Bullet weight, coefficient, altitude but nothing I do seems to get close to matching.

I know field data is more important but I would be nice to be able to confirm using the app.

Thanks

Have you done a tall target test yet? This would check the scaling on the scope to make sure you have a handle on that piece.

I've got 4 Shooting Apps. The two that is most consistent for dial up is Ballistic AE and Hornady. IStrelok overcompensates. But for windage IStrelok is awesome for holdover. Hornady is free online so give them a try.

I have not done a tall target test.

I'm using the Istrelok calc.

The longest distance was 300 yards as that is the longest target at the range. Was going to go out to the mountains and shoot 400-700. The scope is ffp so the magnification shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not familiar with the trajectory validation function, I'm assuming it is on the app?

Thanks

It a function with Strelok +. I haven't used it yet but it seems it would help you out in correcting your issue.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts