Finding the lands, help

long-gun 308

Howdy, I have a proof research shouldered prefit for a defiance receiver. Would it make a difference in trying to find the lands while the barrel isn't tied to the receiver? Or should I wait? I like the idea of not having the receiver in my way, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Seems like you should be able to do it that way. Although you won't have an accurate number for case base to bullet ogive until you have a fired case from that action/barrel combo.

Howdy, I have a proof research shouldered prefit for a defiance receiver. Would it make a difference in trying to find the lands while the barrel isn't tied to the receiver? Or should I wait? I like the idea of not having the receiver in my way, anyone have any thoughts on this?
Why do you need to find the lands?

IMHO, it is best to take the measurement when ALL components are properly put together. Having the receiver is NOT an inconvenience in the measurement process.

Find where it shoots no need to worry about lands. 🙄

While I agree with this completely I, at least, like to know where they so I'm not jamming into them. Measure distance to lands, load case to that length and see if it fits in the magazine. I want to be sure, at max mag length, I'm not hitting the lands.

First off the OP said it is a Pre- Fit.

Second, you can fire a case and make a modified case, and then remove the barrel if you want.
In my opinion it is more convenient to not have the receiver in the way if it is possible.
A Hornady modified case will suffice.

I always take a measurement, to the lands before I run the reamer in it's entirety- if it's a new reamer to check the specs.
Once the reaming operation is complete and head-spaced, I will take a final measurement for reference in my notes and relay to the client if asked.

This is all completed WITHOUT the receiver installed.

So my answer would be to take a measurement with the receiver removed if you have the capability.

In either case, you will accomplish what you are looking for.

Why not just get a Hornady Modified Case Tool to measure you seating depth? Once you have the Tool then just get a Modified Cases for each cartridge that you are shooting. That way whenever you change different bullets you can easily check your seating depths. Real easy!
Thanks
Len & Jill
This!!

Good points guys, I never had to worry about finding lands with my Creedmoors. That's what I like about them. You don't need a metric. You just load and shoot. If they hit the lands then just ram it and jam it.

Last edited: