Need Help finding a remington action...

G

I'm saving my money to build a 6.5 284. I would like to put a remington action in it.
Which rifle should I buy to get the correct action? as I don't think you can just buy an action.
Should I try and get a gun dealer to get me an action? Ain't to much here in burley Idaho.
What's the difference between a short action and a long action?
I plan on using a krieger barrel, a jewel trigger and masters 1000 stock.
I am knew to this, but I would like to compete with some of my friends from this area in the montana 1000 yard shoots.

thx

Hilts
Are you going to build the rifle yourself or have a smith do it? Many gunsmiths will provide actions.
In my limited knowlege of actions you will need to stay clear of the magnums, the bolt face is to large. Both long and short M700 should work fine. If your planning to feed this rifle one round at a time I know both will work. Now if you plan to install a magazine box I would make sure the rounds will feed into the box.

Like I said I'm no expert, but make sure you ask these question. Bolt face and Mag box.

Good luck on your project. I have a 6.5x284 built on a BAT action, Hart 30" barrel, Shahane tracker stock, Nightforce 8-32x56, and Jewel 2oz. And it shoots like a dream.

Cooler King

Go to your local gunshop or hock shop and see if they don't have a Remington 721 or older 700 long action.

Many times you can buy the entire rifle for $250.00 to $300.00 dollars.

The older 721 actions are very desireable and I would suggest you stay with a long action so you are able to seat the bullets out far and lay them in the tray much better. You can also extract a loaded round better if need be.

Just a suggestion for the most economical way to buy an action that will work fine for the 6.5/284 length cases.

If you want to spend $1000.00 to $1250.00 for a custom action, you can do that to?

Later
DC

DC, Will the match triggers for the Rem 700 fit on the 721/722 action?

Have never seen a 721/722 action up close to know for sure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.