Find seating depth or powder charge first on VLD's?

I have a set of RCBS Dies that I am loading 180gr Berger Hybrids with. Hopefully my dies are contacting the ogive and not the tip. hmmmmm haven't noticed a lot of variability I guess.

If you wanna check color the tip of a bullet with a sharpie, stick it into the seating plunger a give it a few turns (remove plunger from die). You should see a nice ring appear about an eight inch from the tip.

If thats not the case you can use a small drill to drill the inner most part of the plunger relieving it for the tip of the bullet. Sand smooth and youre back in business.

If you wanna check color the tip of a bullet with a sharpie, stick it into the seating plunger a give it a few turns (remove plunger from die). You should see a nice ring appear about an eight inch from the tip.

If thats not the case you can use a small drill to drill the inner most part of the plunger relieving it for the tip of the bullet. Sand smooth and youre back in business.

Yeah, I will have to check it out. I don't have this particular die set as iron clad yet because I am still doing a lot of adjusting to seating depth so I may just thread the plunger right out of the thing so I can examine how the bullet fits in the plunger thoroughly. I don't suspect that I am having any trouble with it as my test loads for seating depth are looking like they are loaded pretty accurate, straight, etc. Just one of those thing I want to check out and make sure before I put 50rds through and wonder why I can't get any accuracy out of the thing. Thanks.

I just measured 4 Nosler AccuBonds in the 6.5 caliber and 140 grain. I got 5 different measurements 35.60,35.64,35.50,35.48, and 35.57. ??? Sorry Nosler

Measure some your selves?

HAHAHA You didn't tell us you don't have Quarter-Pounders in your area LOL. Never had a Royale With Cheese how are they hahaha

In all seriousness, tho, most everyone here talks in inch measurements, unless otherwise specified. One thing that may have caused confusion is people will use the term "mil", which is NOT a metric measurement, but rather one-thousandth of an inch, or .001"; however, it is often used incorrectly so beware.

For comparison, .001" = .0254mm...so sounds like same-same on your seating depths.

All this made my brain hungry, I'm gonna go get a cheeseburger ;-)

HA the jokes on me I guess. Even at my ripe age I musta migrated to metric. DARN GRR

I assumed that in these kinda close tolerances we'd be talking mm. as a machinist. So I guess we'd/I better know on what scale we are talking about. DA

You know what (assumed) means EH!? Making an *** out of U and ME. ROFL

LOL no worries, we all have moments of mental retardation. I have mine on a daily occurrence. And by daily, i mean many times daily ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.