Finally My First Elk!

barnesuser28

I finally sealed the deal this afternoon on a big cow elk at 387 yards with the 338 Lapua, 280 grain Barnes LRX, and a high shoulder shot. It was a bang flop, instant death. The bullet left a 1 1/4" exit and i found a small part of the petal on the offside hide, probably weighs 5-10 grains. It augured the top of her lungs and left one heck of a wound channel. I will get pics up sunday when i get home, we are going to take the guide out to do some long range shooting with the 338 Lapua since we have 18 rounds left (only had 19 pieces of brass ready to be loaded and only took one shot to kill the elk). This is my 3rd year elk hunting and this cow is well due. She had a deformed front leg, it was half as long as the other leg so i am thinking she was shot while she was young and it got deformed, it looked like a club and her hoof looked like it almost grew twice (if that makes any sense).

Riley

Thanks, i dont have a way to upload them here in CO so i will upload them when i get back to ND on sunday.

Congrats! Good shootin! Now I have a thread I can refer people to when they are saying the 338 is too much gun for someone! Of course my grandad said a lot of folks arent any tougher than an 8 yr old girl nowadays so maybe that explains it. 14 yrs old and shooting a gun 90% of the guys on here say is too extreme. FUNNY! And kudos for realizing that the gun you are shooting is the way to do it and making it work. If everyone did this there would be a lot more dead critters. Makes me think there might be SOME hope for our country yet.

Riley, congrats. She was one of them custom made Mt. ELK. :rolleyes:
They only feed around one way....with the short leg up hill.:D
Way to go bud!gun)

Thanks guys, my dad was shaking just as bad as i was. One of the guides (the older guy, we are taking the youger guy shooting) said that was the fastest he has ever seen an elk drop. I will see if I can get a pic of her leg, she was standing short leg downhill :) . I think the best part was the fact that there was a road 200 ft below her, we just drove the atv to her, drug her down to the road, and put her in the trunk of the truck :D . She stood there for 15 mins while the older guide, his dog moose, and I hauled arse 5 or 6 miles to where my dad, little brother, and youger guide spotted her. We were not seeing any elk and she was standing alone without a care in the world. I think God was looking down on me yesterday and gave me a break :) .

Riley

Thanks guys, i am in Casper WY and we are driving the rest of the way home tomorrow, if all goes well i will have pics up by 3:30 pm. I am taking the leg home to do an autopsy report :)
Her ivory is really nice, it looks kinda like marble.

Riley

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.