Finally done

James H

Well sort of.
Here are a couple pics.
Lawton2.jpg

Lawton1.jpg

Went to put on the Lawton scope rail and Ill be darned a long action base won't work on a short action. I'm a little upset with myself as it has been laying here for several months and I never thought to try it, just assumed that I got the short action base. So I used a Savage 2 piece base for now or until I can get Candi to send me a replacement.
Specs:
Lawton 7500 Dual Port Dasher action.
Jewel 2 oz. trigger
24" Lawton 6mm 4 groove 14 twist cut rifle barrel muzzle dia. around .9"(I forget exactly)
Chambered in 6mm Talldog (shortened 6mm BR Norma)
Richards Microfit Benchrest stock
Weaver T-36 FC scope with Gene Davis screw on 3x ocular booster making it 45X
Aluminum buttplate
Wt around 14.5 lbs
Hope to get some bullets down it tomorrow.

James

James,
Nice looking rifle, and I bet it's going to shoot like a dream. Who built the rifle?

Wildcat

James,
Nice looking rifle, and I bet it's going to shoot like a dream. Who built the rifle?

Wildcat
wildcat
Thank you.
I built it myself. I ordered everything the last week of January. It has taken a long while as the stock didn't arive until I got really buisy this spring. The stock work was at least 10 times more work and more difficult than anything else, but then I hate working with wood but enjoy metal work.
It doesn't show up well in the pictures but it has 5 lite coats of urethane and really needs another 5. It will be a huge disappointment if it doesn't shoot well since the Savage I built this year shoots way better than it should;).
James

Finally got around to shooting the Lawton rifle. I went to the informal match at Grand Island again last Sat. and shot the Lawton at 200 and my Savage at 600.
I did good at 600 placing 2nd in score. I had 2 nice groups at 200 with the Lawton a .620 49 and a .630 48 then had a condition change (stupid wind) and botched the third target and shot a 1.something.
I was shooting 75gr vmaxes in the Savage and 68gr Barts Ultras in the Lawton, both are 6BRs.
James

Great looking rifle James, how do you like that dual port dasher action? Isn't the talldog, basically a shortened 6br to match the internal case capacity as the ppc?

Flybuster
I was unsure when I ordered it if I would like the dual port or not but Barney charges the same if it has on one or two ports so I decided to try a dual port. I am really glad I went that route, it works very well and seemed natural right from the start.
You are correct the Talldog is an attempt to get the 6BR to the same capacity as the 6PPC. This rifle is no longer a Talldog though I ran the reamer on in to make it a standard 6mmBR .272 no-turn neck.
I was losing 10% of the cases due to splits in the shoulder so I decided it is stupid to go through all the case prep. and also lose 10% of the cases when I can just load and go since my reamer is ground for no-turn necks, so I think I finally came to my senses.
I now have on order a Bartlein 7mm 9 twist 5r barrel to put on this rifle.
It will be chambered in 7MM RSAUM using Nosler/Norma brass & 162gr A-max. I will either need to open up the bolt or get another bolt to handle the larger dia. case. The eject port will also need to be opened slightly. I plan to start shooting 1000yd Benchrest matches with it (IBS, NBRSA) since I can find them a lot closer to me than the point blank matches.
James

That talldog sounds like alot of work to make cases for. I am thinking that is another Dan Dowling invention, just by the sound of the name. He came up with the waldog, a shortened 22 ppc.

I am 100% positive on my next rifle in what it will be chambered in. I'm raising funds to build a 6mm Dasher, and was hoping to have Dan do the work. I've heard so much good about this cartridge. Anyways, we have some non-registered 1000 yard benchrest matches here everymonth. Also some nearby F-class matches. I really want to get into this long range competition stuff. I know how addicting it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.