Finally broke the 400 yards mark

graylake

Well first off let me say that this site is just a wealth of information. But then you guys and gals already know that.

I am a dairy farmer up here in Alberta and do a bit of hunting everyfall when I get the chance. I am just fairly new to all this long range stuff. I have always shot coyotes in the winter, but use to use a older Rem 700 in 22-250. 3 years ago my wife bought me a savage BVSS in 22-250. It was then that I started to understand how people could be making these longer shots. Since that time I have been practicing and have been consistently making shots out to 300 yards with out a problem. But I was never getting the chance to stretch that distance out.

But today that changed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I noticed a coyote down at my bait pile which is 225 yards from my shooting location. After making short work of that one, I went down to get it and noticed another one out on my lake. A short 100 yards dash down to the cattails and it was clear sailing. Bang, Flop and it was all over but the hiking.

I went back later and ranged the distance. 430 yards.

I have finally broke the 400 yards mark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know it is nothing for some of you to shoot that far. But we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks again for letting me share.

Graylake

400 yds. will make you feel quite satisfied today, but by tomorrow, you will need a 500 yd. fix. Run while you can my friend, this sport is addicting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Graylake,

A yote at 430 yards is a good shot for anybody anytime so don't sell yourself short there!

Congratulations, but like Sugarbear said this stuff is addictive. Before long you will be having Shawn or Kirby build you a long range hammer. Then it will be the elusive 1000 yard mark.......then 1200, 1500, 2000........where does this end anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for the encouragement/warning.

I am already looking for a chance for the 500 mark. But there are starting to be less shot opportunities around the farm this year. That 400 yard dog is #17 since November. They are starting to figure out that the free meal is not such a good idea.

And yes I am dreaming about a longer range rifle. But I will have to work with what I have for now, other financial priorities.

[Quote: "And yes I am dreaming about a longer range rifle. But I will have to work with what I have for now, other financial priorities."]

Graylake,
Somethin' you might try to get a little more go for not much dough is to ream 'er out to 22-250AI (Ackley Improved). Won't reach out like an AM, but every little bit helps. Google, Clusty or Dogpile 22-250AI or 22-250 AI (with a space) and you'll find volumes of ballistics and load data. Should be able to find a reasonable quality smith nearby with a reamer, but if you find a smith and he doesn't have the reamer, try renting one at http://www.4-dproducts.com/ with the Ackley on this page on the far right column, 6 down: http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?g...32d93e611bbdb85

(don't know these people, but others on other v-bulletins have and it's like netflix with a time limit)

Excellent shooting Greylake !

If i had a shot at a coyote or trophy deer i'd take the coyote -unless i was hungry that is.--Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.