270 win 400+ yards

soundwaves

looking at a heym sr21 270 win. it will be my mountain rifle to hunt ibex.
l havent had much experience with this caliber before ( use magnums )
would l be trying to look for the woonded animal for hours on end if the shot wasnt perfect ?

normal shooting distance 400-500-600 meters. and would be useing 150 grain Sellier & Bellot factory ammo.

your thoughts ? ( non of that shot placement tips and stuf ) what lm asking here is does a 270 have the stoping power necesery at those distances if the shot wasnt placed perfectly. 7mm and 300 win mag style.. animal doesnt go too far if the bullet doesnt land perfectly.

The animals I've shot with 140 offerings out of the wind @ 3200 FPS MV have done the job out towards 700 yards. However, shot placement was pretty decent.

I have on experience with the ammo you mentioned. If the bullets are similar to Nosler offerings, either ballistic tips or accubonds compensate for the wind properly and let'r rip.

No guarantees but i'd give it a go if it were me.

looking at a heym sr21 270 win. it will be my mountain rifle to hunt ibex.
l havent had much experience with this caliber before ( use magnums )
would l be trying to look for the woonded animal for hours on end if the shot wasnt perfect ?

normal shooting distance 400-500-600 meters. and would be useing 150 grain Sellier & Bellot factory ammo.

your thoughts ? ( non of that shot placement tips and stuf ) what lm asking here is does a 270 have the stoping power necesery at those distances if the shot wasnt placed perfectly. 7mm and 300 win mag style.. animal doesnt go too far if the bullet doesnt land perfectly.
It will do the job but of course the 7mm Rem and 300wm will do it a bit better and easier with more room for shooter error.

A 150 grain .277 bullet is a good one for game of that size. Put it anywhere in the vitals at 1800 fps or more and you'll have a very dead Ibex. Out of a .270 Win you'll drop below 1800 fps right around 700-800 yards.

The 270 wcf is Legend but a boat bullet will give you more advantage and drift less ,yes shot placement is KEY with all shooting ,practice makes perfect ,good hunting ,regards jjmp

Love my 270. Yes, it gets the job done with 140 Accubonds or 150 Bergers. Practice practice practice. That includes probably one of the most important reading the wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.