FINALLY! After-Market Iron Sights for the Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzle Loader!

Very good information, I fell victim to the RUM with the BC stock twice. One for me and the other for my son, started off with the See-All sight. Good sight for some applications but after one Colorado Mule deer hunt we realized it wasn't for us. Our guns are in and out of the saddle scabbard a lot, and Id say its only good for 150-200 yards tops. But as usual it was getting late in the year and not enough time to start over finding a different sight.
Only thing Id like to do different than you did is use a Globe sight for the front, like the Lyman Target Globe. Did you consider this at all?
Thanks so much for all the great information as I've been going a bunch of research also on this topic. And now it sounds as if Remington really left us hanging out to dry!!!
Id sure like to talk to you about this topic in greater detail, could you give me a call or a text when you get a chance? 701-400-0966 Jeff
The "see-all open sight" is illegal in colorado-- I asked cpwand they said it's a no-no . I now have adjustable rear peep and front globe with fine crosshair insert.

Another complete system for brakes by LR Customs.

From the FB site:
"I am really excited about releasing this brake system. Introducing the patent pending IRON-REX ST brake system. You can finally use your rifle to cover all the different states that require iron sights and not complete change your rifles performance. The complete Iron-Rex system includes the IRON-REX brake with a Lee Shaver front aperture installed directly into the brake, the new but gaining popularity MZ-Rex ST 4 brake, NEC rail Rear Peep sight, Tapered LRC jam nut, load through funnel, and starter.

I have always hated drilling holes in barrels to install a front sight ramp. I have always hated the distraction of seeing the front aperture in my scope. This also solves the issue with barrel harmonics changing from front sight to no sight. By swapping out the Iron-Rex for the MZ-Rex st, barrel harmonics doesn't change. Accuracy doesnt change.
This coupled with the NEC rail peep, if your scope goes down, you can remove the scope, slap on the Rear peep, level up the Iron-Rex and continue on your hunt.
Also need to let you know that this setup is great for the M50 or higher cheek piece stocks

You will be seeing this set up a lot more in coming months and is especially aimed (pun intended) to the Nevada, Washington, and Colorado hunters who invest a goodly amount of money in a rifle they want to use the same rifle in states which allow optics
."

Peep1.jpg

peep2.jpg

peep3.jpg

peep4.jpg

peep5.jpg

I believe in Colorado, there may be an exception for people with vision issues for 1-1X... with documentation but you will cause a ruckus if you go there! I've researched it... There's nothing in the documentation that says no glass and there is further misleading qualifying language that speaks to it and it does say iron sights only also but there are some old school options I believe - it's very misleading and the game wardens are as much in the dark as we are with how to interpret it.

For what it's worth, and after much anxiety because of this thread, I just mounted a Williams Precision Muzzleloader on a 700 UML composite stock - fits like a gem - no cheek rest issues - space for red dot forward for other states. Per this thread - this is what you want:

Thanks Williams!

If you have vision issues and use cheaters, get a pair with lower magnification, take the left lense out, and go both eyes open and play with that - I'm experimenting with that but you can infer through the fuzzy reticle of the globe but there may be a possible solution there to be found... Good luck - HTH

Somewhere in CO;)

Last edited:
Colorado game management and hunting rules and regs have gone to hell in a handbasket after takeover by the circus -er-parks management. Every year I've said "that's it, I've had it" to the next stupid thing they pull out of their backsides.

I believe in Colorado, there may be an exception for people with vision issues for 1-1X... with documentation but you will cause a ruckus if you go there! I've researched it... There's nothing in the documentation that says no glass and there is further misleading qualifying language that speaks to it and it does say iron sights only also but there are some old school options I believe - it's very misleading and the game wardens are as much in the dark as we are with how to interpret it.

For what it's worth, and after much anxiety because of this thread, I just mounted a Williams Precision Muzzleloader on a 700 UML composite stock - fits like a gem - no cheek rest issues - space for red dot forward for other states. Per this thread - this is what you want:

Thanks Williams!

If you have vision issues and use cheaters, get a pair with lower magnification, take the left lense out, and go both eyes open and play with that - I'm experimenting with that but you can infer through the fuzzy reticle of the globe but there may be a possible solution there to be found... Good luck - HTH

Somewhere in CO;)
The problem is, you arent actually reading ALL the rules and regulations-- you are just reading the "handbook" hand out. There is a real regulation book that is thick and full of legal mubojumbo wording. If you have questions, you can email cpw and they will turn the legal/ enforcement questions over to Bob Thompson and you'llget your legal answer for him. He is very blunt and not up for inperpretations/discussions of his answeres. But he will site the actual regulation wording for you.
I just recently emailedback and forth regarding the "open sight " rule.. you can apply for an "accommodations permit" to use things like the trigicon red dot or see-all open sight, but you must qualify for a disability permit to use a 1x scope. Medical documentation is needed for either.
He specifically stated that no lenses of any type is allowed without a granted variance.

Now weather the field officers know or enforce "Bob's" rules is a whole different matter.
Bob did confirm that rear peep and hooded/globe front sights are legal

Fair enough, in CO it's worth mentioning there are thre other consideration such as powder req, no sabot, bolt is not considered beech for the primer so that's okay, I just checked with Sulphur Ranger District and should like to read the full reg - thanks for the info.

With regard to the laminated stock, it uses the same Williams sight rear as the Precision Muzzleloader; but, the peep orifice is a slightly different size (maybe drill it out if smaller -forget) - I forget exactly. You can buy just the globe front special order ~$60+/- but you may want to get a new peep orifice too - you could go with the twilight in the matched size if you contact them they'll match it... And then you get the dusk/dawn action to boot. This globe had a slightly larger diameter than many of the cowboy old-timer competitor specialty options out there - I looked at all I could find. Better light, faster target acquisition - looked hard at Lyman and Lee Shaver, Lee has some great stuff but the Williams Precision seemed the best fit and it's awesome with the composite stock or the laminate.

Last edited:
I use an adjustable apature rear peep-- you can open/close it to what ever size suits your eyes and needs--- I like it to just halo the front globe, it allows my eyes to center the front sight much quicker and more accurately

Colorado game management and hunting rules and regs have gone to hell in a handbasket after takeover by the circus -er-parks management. Every year I've said "that's it, I've had it" to the next stupid thing they pull out of their backsides.
We used to sit around the campfire years ago, about why don't they just combine the two....WORST THING EVER!

I am Still struggling working up a Colorado load for my RUM. I am shooting the Federal BOR Lock in 270gr with 77gr weighed of Black horn 209 and I am all over the place 10" groups but if I shoot the Remington sabot or the barns sabot I get 1" groups at 100 yards! Any suggestions???

I am Still struggling working up a Colorado load for my RUM. I am shooting the Federal BOR Lock in 270gr with 77gr weighed of Black horn 209 and I am all over the place 10" groups but if I shoot the Remington sabot or the barns sabot I get 1" groups at 100 yards! Any suggestions???

Try increasing the charge, which may make a significant difference.
Most guys are finding 105 to 112grs WEIGHT of BH209 stabilizes most 300gr bullets.

Sized properly the Fury line of bullets (50cal bullet to bore) are very accurate.