FIBERFILL FOR REDUCED LOADS?

Yes, It will work, but it is not consistent. Get some 5744 or Buffalo Rifle and play with them until you get the velocity you want. I think you'll be happy and can get more reloads per pound.

"Not Consistent"..... I was pretty pleased with the one, large ragged hole produced at 100 yards, using a full case of BMG beneath the 270 grain Hornady! Maybe my experience is an anomaly! ;)

Certainly more loads per pound.....but I have 95 pounds to play with! :) memtb

You didn't mention what cartridge you are using.

Puff-lon is a filler designed to fill the airspace.

An alternative is to use the reduced load data for H4895

You definately don't want to use a slow powder for reduced loads. I have a friend who lost a hand when he shot a reduced load of 7828 in a .300 RUM. It detonated and blew the rifle up. They found the scope on a roof of a house a hundred feet away!

👍
This is good advice if you try to pick just a slow burning powder. You must look in your loading to find one that is comparable with your cartridge bullet combination. Listed loads are considered safe and should not be substituted. If you use less powder than listed, even though it is a powder that is listed, it can be considered a squib load.

If you shoot something like a 500 NE reducing the load will not yield much relief from recoil so a smaller caliber/cartridge is recommended.

There are listed reduced loads in your loading manual/data You must use it.

J E CUSTOM

does anyone use Dacron polyester fiberfill for reduced loads? I have read numerous mixed reactions from other forums. What do you guys think is it safe? Can it harm the barrel?

I did read he rest of the posts and there are some good suggestions. I will add, 4895 works great for somewhat educed loads, no fill required. The Hodgdon site has instructions for how to make reduced loads using 4895. Very slow burning powder is another option but you do need to be careful what you download. The RUM series of cartridges should NEVER be downloaded, use at least the min amount of powder in the load books.

For even more reduced loads try Trail Boss. Specifically designed for that use, very bulky so that filler is not required. Most loads using filler also use fast pistol or shotgun powder. When I used those Cream of Wheat or Corn Meal was a pretty common filler. Back in the old days, that is what we had available so we used it. Today, there are far better and way safer options. You have to see what a double charge of fast powder can do to a gun and you will understand why I am not a fan of using it if you don't have to.

Last edited:
For many years, I've used IMR 4198 with a filler. It was the powder I used in my .223's, and I had an abundance of it. In large capacity cases, it left a lot of room. The filler gave me more consistent loads! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.