reduced loads for 30-06

Here's an older Hodgdon document with specific reduced recoil loads. I've killed hogs with the 125 grain Bowler BT load, so I'm sure it will work on deer.

Way to step up and help the kid.

Attachments

• H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 176
I have a neighbor kid who lost his dad last Feb. He was out hunting coyotes with his dads 30-06 and his mom told me when he fired it, it gave him a pretty good jolt. He is 12 yrs old. I was thinking of making him some reduced recoil loads using trail boss and 150gr interlocks I have. I've looked at the load data. What I'm looking for here is some experiences with hunting with reduced recoil loads like that. I'd like to help the kid hunt with his dad's rifle but not at the risk of safety or taking game cleanly.
Your a good ole boy to help this young lad out. It's a pleasure to hear!!!

Good on you.
Tall, does archery, shoots a 22 mag. He may not be the wimp your first OP suggests. Sounds like the young man has drive.
Coach him on technique. He may not need anything reduced, just guidance on how to properly shoulder it and absorb the energy.

I use 125g Ballistic Tips over 55.5g of Varget for 3/4" groups in a Browning A-Bolt. Very mild recoil and kills deer like lightning. Obviously not a long range load but most beginners don't shoot well past 200 yds anyway

It would be good to know what the rifle and load was. I'm not recoil sensitive, been using a 30-06 for 30 years now. And I shot ultra mags and standard mags regularly. But one of the worst recoiling rifles was a older Savage 110, and I love Savages. So the suggestion on Sims Lab recoil pad is a good one. I've had one of my Featherweight for at least twenty years. I may need to get a new one, but hot 180 gr loads in a 7.5 lb rifle is fine with it. It's not so fun with the factory pad. IMR 4064 is a fine powder for 30-06. But I think I'd still try H4895 as per Hodgdon's directions. I've loaded some accurate loads with it in both the 06 and the 308 Win. I'd confirm their directions of starting loads as low as 60% of max loads, but with it and your 150 gr bullet it shouldn't be hard to find a easy kicking load. Lastly I agree with those who give accolades for you helping out this young man. Tough times right now, I can't imagine what it would be like with the passing of his Dad.

Try 33-38 grs of H4895 with 125 BT or SST. Those are 60-70% of Hodgdons max charge of H4895. They shoot accurate and I ve found about 70% (38 grs) charge weight to usually shoot very well.

Good Luck and great job helping a young man out. I m sure using his 'Dads gun' will have special meaning for him.

H4895 reduced formula from Hodgdon, I found the 3006 to be a little long cased to have great reduced loads, but can be done. Like many have already said. I would use 110gr to135gr bullets. Then keep backing off bellow published starting load until the young man can handle the recoil. But don't go below Hodgdons recommendation for reduced 4895 loads. The brass is long, to little strong out powder can be a bad thing. ☠️

It would be good to know what the rifle and load was. I'm not recoil sensitive, been using a 30-06 for 30 years now. And I shot ultra mags and standard mags regularly. But one of the worst recoiling rifles was a older Savage 110, and I love Savages. So the suggestion on Sims Lab recoil pad is a good one. I've had one of my Featherweight for at least twenty years. I may need to get a new one, but hot 180 gr loads in a 7.5 lb rifle is fine with it. It's not so fun with the factory pad. IMR 4064 is a fine powder for 30-06. But I think I'd still try H4895 as per Hodgdon's directions. I've loaded some accurate loads with it in both the 06 and the 308 Win. I'd confirm their directions of starting loads as low as 60% of max loads, but with it and your 150 gr bullet it shouldn't be hard to find a easy kicking load. Lastly I agree with those who give accolades for you helping out this young man. Tough times right now, I can't imagine what it would be like with the passing of his Dad.

I only spoke with his mom briefly, I have no idea on rifle info. I'm just feeling out if I can get decent results for him with what I have. It sounds like the smart money is on switching powder and bullets. But I'll try what I have in my rifle first and see how that goes. That way no expectations for him to be disappointed with. If it works great if it bombs no harm no foul.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

I only spoke with his mom briefly, I have no idea on rifle info. I'm just feeling out if I can get decent results for him with what I have. It sounds like the smart money is on switching powder and bullets. But I'll try what I have in my rifle first and see how that goes. That way no expectations for him to be disappointed with. If it works great if it bombs no harm no foul.

Thanks again everyone for the input.
I think you're on the right track, heck if he's a big 12 year old your 150's and some IMR 4064 might be just fine. The Trail Boss part threw me off alittle, suggested you needed really light loads. I only suggested H4895 because it works really well also. And that one post a member early on that linked to Hodgdons website stating you could decrease the load 60% in a 30-06. Heck if that doesn't work I'd get some of those 125 gr BT's and call Nosler to see if they have load data using IMR 4064. If not then you could always try the H4895. Good luck!

Kids like to shoot a lot. (Ask me how I know...) Those 30-30 cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Company I mentioned should be really good for this situation. The bullets are cheap, and the powder load would be too. You could probably load them up cheaper than the ridiculously expensive .22 magnums. They are BHN 18 with a bit of a flat meplat, so should expand well at low velocity, and the HiTek coating, (and light loading) will help prevent leading.

Yeah, a Limbsaver will help a bunch too, and since he's tall the added length of pull shouldn't be a problem. I have one of them on a 12 gauge my 13 year old daughter shoots, and it's flat out plush-cushy.

Vettepilot

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts