FIBERFILL FOR REDUCED LOADS?

5oomiles

does anyone use Dacron polyester fiberfill for reduced loads? I have read numerous mixed reactions from other forums. What do you guys think is it safe? Can it harm the barrel?

I've used polyfil in a large caliber straight wall cartridge for subsonic loads with lil'gun & RL7 when a case full of trailboss didn't give me the results I wanted. Never tried it in a bottleneck cartridge, don't know if I would. The fluffy stuff I use burns up and I've never found traces of it.

I've used polyfil in a large caliber straight wall cartridge for subsonic loads with lil'gun & RL7 when a case full of trailboss didn't give me the results I wanted. Never tried it in a bottleneck cartridge, don't know if I would. The fluffy stuff I use burns up and I've never found traces of it.
Thanks I was just looking up loads for my 500 Smith & Wesson. And when I found titegroup had so little volume in the case I was wondering if it would be okay to use fiberfill. But since then I found out that it doesn't require it because it's not position sensitive. But I am curious as to why you would not use it in a bottleneck cartridge or if anyone else has used fiberfill for any other loads and what results they got. I've heard mixed reactions in other forums about using fiberfill

It is considered to be dangerous because of the extra oxygen in the fiber fill. It is basically the same as loading a squib load with lots of air space it changes the burn rate.

The safest way to do this is to load a slower powder that will end up with an 80% + case density. Velocity and recoil will be reduced. some re loading manuals will have a very reduced load with low pressure that should be safe. sometimes these powders are a compressed load when listed as max. They are not max velocity and pressure, just the most the case will hold.

In the straight sided cases it is recommended that you use a wad over the powder to take up the extra case capacity.

J E CUSTOM

I would be worried about it clogging the smaller neck, kind of like powder bridging...I'm guessing here. I just use it to take up space as JE said. Used it on 100's of rounds, made my sub loads velocity more consistent than using a case full of trailboss.

While I shoot far less cast rifle bullets than I once did.....I've used Dacron as a filler since the early 80's. In cartridges from .270 Win. to .375 AI, I've never had an issue! memtb

I have shot hundreds of 308 and 30-30 using 110gr swaged, plated bullets over 13gr of Clays Universal or Unique (use them interchangeably.)
A fantastic load for friends with bad arthritis or teaching chillins to shoot.
Recoil and report like a 22LR.
Hits a plate hard at 100, rings gongs nicely.
I used polyester fiberfill for ~1/2 of them, then found a source of kapok.
With polyester, puffs of white gunk. It will leave melt gunk in the barrel if you shoot too fast. Kapok doesn't.

Any of the synthetics (Like Polyester or Dacron) I would be afraid of leaving a deposit in the barrel. Being an old Cast bullet shooter in 308 Win. 270 Win. 243 Win, 338 Win. And even 300 WSM, I use Kapok, It does not take much to fill the case and hold the powder in place.

Kapok is still used in some Life Preservers/Life Jackets. The Kapok is in sealed plastic sections in the Life Jacket. Check local Marinas, Junked life jackets usually has a sealed section still good when they must be junked under Coast Guard laws.

Any of the synthetics (Like Polyester or Dacron) I would be afraid of leaving a deposit in the barrel. Being an old Cast bullet shooter in 308 Win. 270 Win. 243 Win, 338 Win. And even 300 WSM, I use Kapok, It does not take much to fill the case and hold the powder in place.

Kapok is still used in some Life Preservers/Life Jackets. The Kapok is in sealed plastic sections in the Life Jacket. Check local Marinas, Junked life jackets usually has a sealed section still good when they must be junked under Coast Guard laws.
I have some old life jackets thanks I'll have to try that kapok😉

Been using tp rolled up and stuffed in on top of the powder charge to help with fire forming . With bullseye powder

I read on a forum on Cast Boolets web site about using fillers. What they said convinced me to not attempt it. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with pressure excursions as it burned up and actually ringed the chamber. I shoot cast bullets and used SR 4759 and it was an an awesome powder for reduced loads. Unfortunately they quit making it and I think I have the last two cans in existence. Now I have been using Accurate 5744 and Shooters World Buffalo Rifle powders. They seem work the same as 4759. I have to use about 8% by weight more Buffalo Rifle to duplicate the 5744, but it only costs about 3/4 as much as 5744. I use it mostly in my 45-70 and 40-65, and use it in my 30-30 cast loads. I have also experimented with it in larger cases with good results. Accurate has data for most bottle neck cartridges and if you have an odd ball they can give you a starting load. I even used it in my 7STW for reduced loads. You definately don't want to use a slow powder for reduced loads. I have a friend who lost a hand when he shot a reduced load of 7828 in a .300 RUM. It detonated and blew the rifle up. They found the scope on a roof of a house a hundred feet away!

arch408, To expound a bit on your post! It's my understanding that slow burning powder "could" detonate, if "not filling" the case. I have used 50 BMG powder in my .375 AI, when fire-forming cases.....which is "way" too slow with my case capacity! I had lots of unburned powder, low velocities (1800+ FPS with 270 grain bullets), but accuracy was superb! I hope that completely filling the case will prevent "detonation".....as I want to try this powder with cast bullets!

So.....if a very slow burning powder (completely filling case) were used, it may work well! memtb

arch408, To expound a bit on your post! It's my understanding that slow burning powder "could" detonate, if "not filling" the case. I have used 50 BMG powder in my .375 AI, when fire-forming cases.....which is "way" too slow with my case capacity! I had lots of unburned powder, low velocities (1800+ FPS with 270 grain bullets), but accuracy was superb! I hope that completely filling the case will prevent "detonation".....as I want to try this powder with cast bullets!

So.....if a very slow burning powder (completely filling case) were used, it may work well! memtb
Yes, It will work, but it is not consistent. Get some 5744 or Buffalo Rifle and play with them until you get the velocity you want. I think you'll be happy and can get more reloads per pound.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.