FFL Form 4 not submitted help!

squito

In early July 2022 I went to an FFL to apply for my form 4 for my suppressors. He took my fingerprints multiple times and said he submitted my application. I waited until September of 2023 without an approval so I called the ATF. They had no record of my application. I reached out the FFL and asked him. He said he had no idea. I also asked for the control number and he said he never received one. Next contact from him is he resubmitted the application and his check was cashed on 10/12/2023. This time he provided me a control number. I do have a receipt from July of 2022 paying him for the permit. My question is do I need to wait another year or is there something I can do?

In early July 2022 I went to an FFL to apply for my form 4 for my suppressors. He took my fingerprints multiple times and said he submitted my application. I waited until September of 2023 without an approval so I called the ATF. They had no record of my application. I reached out the FFL and asked him. He said he had no idea. I also asked for the control number and he said he never received one. Next contact from him is he resubmitted the application and his check was cashed on 10/12/2023. This time he provided me a control number. I do have a receipt from July of 2022 paying him for the permit. My question is do I need to wait another year or is there something I can do?
First off who did you GO TO?????
Second you should have gone to a Kiosk from a Suppressor supplier. at a FFL Dealer and filled out the paperwork. Suggest you do it as a "TRUST" Filing for a Suppressor from a Kiosk is almost instant. You type in your info and your finger prints and suppressor info then set to go. Then takes s few months to get everything approved.
Don't do it at a Yokel Local shop that doesn't have an electronic Kiosk.
The last one we did was for a SBR and went to the County Jail for Prints. We already had a "TRUST" setup from our other suppressors so it was easy piesy!. Just filled out the paperwork and added a copy of our prints. Mailed off receipt return requested. All set.

Last edited:
First off who did you GO TO?????
Second you should have gone to a Kiosk from a Suppressor supplier. at a FFL Dealer and filled out the paperwork. Suggest you do it as a "TRUST" Filing for a Suppressor from a Kiosk is almost instant. You type in your info and your finger prints and suppressor info then set to go. Then takes s few months to get everything approved.
Don't do it at a Yokel Local shop that doesn't have an electronic Kiosk.
The last one we did was for a SBR and went to the County Jail for Prints. We already had a "TRUST" setup from our other suppressors so it was easy piesy!. Just filled out the paperwork and added a copy of our prints. Mailed off receipt return requested. All set.
Thank you so much for your response but unfortunately this does not help with my question.

Last edited:
You can call the atf and tell them that you want the vip express lane processing treatment since you were treated unfairly I'm sure they would gladly oblige......

Just kidding, that's not a real thing-- unfortunately there isn't a thing you can do to speed up your processing time

I might try talking to the ffl you used to see if you can get some sort of compensation for his screw up. Or a complaint to the BBB if it makes you feel better. Sometimes life isn't fair. I feel for you

You can call the atf and tell them that you want the vip express lane processing treatment since you were treated unfairly I'm sure they would gladly oblige......

Just kidding, that's not a real thing-- unfortunately there isn't a thing you can do to speed up your processing time

I might try talking to the ffl you used to see if you can get some sort of compensation for his screw up. Or a complaint to the BBB if it makes you feel better. Sometimes life isn't fair. I feel for you

Yep, what he said.

The ATF doesn't care that your FFL screwed you. They process applications in the order the are received. Some get through the whole process quicker than others, but that is dependent on the speed at which the FBI does the background check.
You will most likely be waiting 6-8 months.

Yep, what he said.

The ATF doesn't care that your FFL screwed you. They process applications in the order the are received. Some get through the whole process quicker than others, but that is dependent on the speed at which the FBI does the background check.
It's a pain. Filed in March of this year, finally approved this month, awaiting shipment of mine now

From what I can understand here, the FFL guy dropped the ball, which means it's not an AFT problem. So 15 months goes by and you never contacted the FFL guy to check on the can? Just asking. Cheers

They denied my Nomad TI because my photos weren't good !!! This was after 5 months wait. Scheels and the ATF can KMA. I'll probably never buy another until we have the same suppressor laws as South Africa. They suk too, it takes a year to get a rifle permit but can buy a suppressor over the counter, go figure.

They denied my Nomad TI because my photos weren't good !!! This was after 5 months wait. Scheels and the ATF can KMA. I'll probably never buy another until we have the same suppressor laws as South Africa. They suk too, it takes a year to get a rifle permit but can buy a suppressor over the counter, go figure.
Did you resubmit? I had a form 4 denied after almost nine months because the FFL entered wrong info, resubmitted and got it back a couple months ago.

No, I was so mad, I just got my money back and ran. I have an Omega 300 which I move around on my rifles. Shame on me, I know now to double check photos, don't trust the seller to do it.

If you've already paid your FFL and he won't give you your money back or the help you need to clear things up, you have at least one alternative that hasn't been mentioned. You could have your FFL Form 3 the suppressor over to a Silencer shop dealer with a kiosk and go thru them.
Before they expanded their service, I used to buy from Capital armory and have them send the suppressor to my local Silencer shop guy. The process worked well and I didn't mind paying the transfer fee.

Last edited:
Yep, what he said.

Unfortunately, the ATF doesn't care that they're screwing all of us with this awful charade.

Last edited: