Few coyotes

remingtonman_25_06

Went out coyote hunting on thursday night and to our luck, we saw 3 that night. We should have gotten all 3, but my buddy messed up on the one. Anyways, the first coyote we saw was the one I shot. We turned the corner to see a little dog standing off the side of the road not more then 20 yards. I had my 300 RUM with the 210g uld rbbt. I lined up behind the shoulder and let er rip. It left a good size exit hole, probly around 5-6 inches. After taking the pics on that one, we proceeded to move on. About 15 minutes later, my friend yells at me to stop. Keyword for a yote. There was one sitting like a dog about 50 yards off the side of the road. My friend got out, tried shooting it and couldn't get the gun to fire. I was letting him use my super accurate .222 Rem, so I knew nothing was wrong with the gun. As he was fumbling around, the little dog got up and trotted maybe 10-15 yards, then stopped to look back again. Still my friend couldn't figure my rifle out, turns out, he forgot to jack a shell in. By the time he got a shot off, the little yote was about to go over a hill. He missed as I saw it take a couple more bounds out into the CRP field. It was pretty funny though. That coyote shoulda been dead meat, it stood around for at least 30 seconds. USually dont get to many of those, but these coyotes aren't full grown, so there usually not as smart. I was giving him so much crap for fumbling around forever, only for the fact that I said you wont get another one that stupid. So we drove around till dark and was headed home when I saw the 3rd yote skyline about 100 yards away. It was on my friends side, so I told him to shoot. I told him to just put the crosshairs right on the shoulder, at the shot, the yote dropped. It was another little one, but we still got him anyways. My friend was pretty excited, he hasn't shot a coyote in like 6-7 years he said, so I was glad I was able to let him shoot at a couple, and actually get one. The first pic is my coyote and the damage from the 210g uld rbbt. I would say expansion is good!
23r4z9k.jpg

23r50mq.jpg

23r5ric.jpg

Welcome back in a big way. I just love to see some real life hunting. It gets a little dull around here in the off seasons. I hoping to go out and get a shot at some ROCKS tomorrow. It's all we have since the milk jugs seem to be hibernating around here.

You can get the 210g uld rbbt's from Richard Graves at wildcatbullets.com They are pretty accurate bullets. I have been shooting them and the 210g berger vld's trying to see what I like better. As far as I have shot with both bullets, out to 800 yards, the berger VLD seems to have a little higher BC. Its advertised at like .640, pretty spot on. I would guess the 210g uld rbbt to be about .630 or so. I have also shot both bullets into wet newspaper. The berger VLD is a little more explosive, or in other words, the ULD RBBT should hold up a little better. I have shot coyotes with both bullets and they both leave big holes.

HiredGun, aren't there any yotes down there? I know there are lots of chucks. I remember playing baseball down there and they would be all over in the outfield eating the grass.

I'm right on the coast in North Bend. That is Coos Bay to the rest of the world. No chucks here. A very few digger squirrels. There are a bunch of coyotes around but we have a government trapper that keeps them well educated. He don't kill them. Just educates them.

I like listening to the old timers talk about when they were allowed to go out and bust up seals and sea lions on the reefs. That was a long range sport for sure. Seems like they lived in a much different world than we have now. Back then Sea Gulls were fair sport too.

I cant belive that sea gulls are the state bird of UTAH. We should be able to shoot all the sea gulls we want they are worthless.

[ QUOTE ]
I cant belive that sea gulls are the state bird of UTAH. We should be able to shoot all the sea gulls we want they are worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never understood how God could have been so stupid and created animals like ticks, mosquitoes, wolves, blackfooted ferrets, snail darters, seagulls, tapeworms and Republicans.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I believe we did shoot all of the passenger pigeons we wanted. That is why everybody loves us so much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mikedee

Excuse me. I must have lost my manners.

Welcome to Longrange Hunting. I am the token liberal treehugger. Every site must have at least one and I have been designated to be it for this site.

I heard there was still one tree left in Idaho and it was feeling lonely and needed a hug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I may need to take one or more of my liberal bumper stickers off my truck before I leave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nice remmy I love my 300 ultra also been using 168gr bergers
6 coyotes so for since april and rock chucks hate it shot one last weekend at 450 yrds 1st shot
also shot one at 109yrds with a hornady 168gr btsp Im not lying he went up at least 15' and away from where he was laying 40' I throw horse shoes alot and I know what forty feet is. SWEETTTTTTTT!!!

The expansion was good, but I wouldn't exactly brag about a gut shot, and posting a picture of what is proof that the shooter needs some rifle range practice is nothing to be proud of.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.