Ferret 50

Mecharius

Like many before me, I have been bitten by the 50 bug. No, I dont need a 50. Yes, I am aware of better long range rounds. But I want one, and though it may take some sort of financial black magic, I shall have one. I'll stick pins in a voodoo doll of a bank teller or something until either there is a bank error in my favor, or I save up the cash. Either way...

I am curious if there are 50 BMG fans in this group, and if any of you have experience with the Ferret 50. I have dug through google and read every teview, and really any post even off handed mention of these machines and think I am somewhere in between have made an intelligent and informed decision about what rifle to buy and having a nearly fetishistic need for one.

Also open to suggestions of scopes for a 50. This is completley new territory for me, my hardest recoild rifle previous to this future acquisition of mine was chambered in the venerable 303 Brit.

Ferret50 by Spider Firearms - .50BMG conversion for the AR-15 and World Class custom rifles.
https://www.facebook.com/spiderfirearms/

And they are doing a giveaway of one of their rifles, if anyone is interested.
Fabulous Ferret50 50cal Giveaway

I owned a M82 A1 Barrett and loved it. but sold it when all of the ranges in my area banned it.

I had looked at the Ferret and several others before buying the Barrett and decided that I wanted
the M82 A1 the most.

Now the price is out of most peoples range the other 50s are more attractive. liking the performance and accuracy If I bought another 50, It would probably be a bolt action like the Ferret
or custom action with a heavy/long barrel.

The price of the Ferret looks to be about the same or more than If I built one my self so ether way,
it would be possible and affordable.

I like the factory Hornady 750 grain ammo and tried the 800 grain solids for long range targets.
Even they don't have the BCs of the 408, most will out shoot the shooter and very little bothers the 750 or 800 grain bullets.

I would recommend to anyone that before they buy or build one, that they make sure that they can legally shoot it.

J E CUSTOM

I owned a M82 A1 Barrett and loved it. but sold it when all of the ranges in my area banned it.

I had looked at the Ferret and several others before buying the Barrett and decided that I wanted
the M82 A1 the most.

Now the price is out of most peoples range the other 50s are more attractive. liking the performance and accuracy If I bought another 50, It would probably be a bolt action like the Ferret
or custom action with a heavy/long barrel.

The price of the Ferret looks to be about the same or more than If I built one my self so ether way,
it would be possible and affordable.

I like the factory Hornady 750 grain ammo and tried the 800 grain solids for long range targets.
Even they don't have the BCs of the 408, most will out shoot the shooter and very little bothers the 750 or 800 grain bullets.

I would recommend to anyone that before they buy or build one, that they make sure that they can legally shoot it.

J E CUSTOM
I'll just add that before spending that kind of money on a rifle the prospective buyer should find some way to shoot a .50 cal. Even in a semi auto the recoil and blast are more than most people could ever tolerate for more than a handful of shots at a time.

Personally if I were to buy or build an ELR rifle it would be chambered in .375 Cheytac for the much better ballistics and significantly less recoil and blast. It will also be welcome more places.

Further there's a very good chance that following this election severe restrictions if not an outright ban on privately owned .50 caliber rifles is not just possible but likely.

50s are awesome tons of power and accurate. I have AX 50 kicks like a mule and tons of muzzle blast. If you want one better get it now before HRC gets elected. Might want to buy a bunch of ammo and get ready for the revolution.....

serbu 36 heavy barrel vortex viper 4-16 x50. Ranges are a big issue (banned) because other shooters/members are complainers upset over blast. I can only shoot about 30 rounds or so before the concussion of the blast starts affecting me. You can buy ammo as low $2 round. Reloading is a different beast its expensive or really expensive. Much like any hobby how much are you an enthusiast

Might want to buy a bunch of ammo and get ready for the revolution.....

I know you're just joking but I'd rather we didn't say things like that on LRH.

Plus the political comments in general are supposed to be limited to the

Politics of Guns and hunting subforum.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Of course Len!

I have a Premier Reticle scope on my 50bmg. Lots of guys use nightforce scopes. I would use anything that has a lifetime warranty. I have never had to send a scope in for work on my 50.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts