Federal primers

Thayley

I've looked on all the big reloading supply websites and all the shops around town and all are sold out of all federal primers. Has anyone heard when they may be coming back in stock? I can fin Winchester and ccI primers all day but no federals. Thanks

Ran into Federals about 4 months ago locally and bought all they would sell me. Hit or miss. Federal and CCI are owned by the same Holding Company, ATK. The CCI primers would be my choice for a substitute. I have good luck with them but prefer Fed's for some loads. It is the times we live in.

Keep your eye out for 'em and get enough for a spell when you see 'em. Midway had 210's in a couple of weeks back right when Len needed some... trouble was he was looking for the match and they had the standard. You gotta keep some green in the wallet for when you see stuff now days it seems. I do like being stocked up well and have been for years; you never know when you will see some of this stuff.
My primer order of preference is fed, win, rem, cci. cci leaves more residue than the others and rem sometimes doesn't fit all primer pockets perfectly. I haven't played with the import primers so I can't say if I'd use them or not, but some say they are good.

Lefty I can't believe you got the order wrong!

In large rifle it is: Fed, Win, Rem, CCI

In large rifle Magnum it is: Fed, Rem, CCI, Win

In small pistol it is: Rem, Fed, CCI, Win

In small pistol magnum it is: CCI, Rem, Win, Fed

In large pistol it is: Win, Fed, CCI, Rem

In large pistol magnum it is: Win, CCI, Rem, Fed

In small rifle it is: Fed, CCI, Win, Rem

In small rifle magnum it is: CCI, Win, Rem, Fed

Just kidding

KB

Lefty I can't believe you got the order wrong!

In large rifle it is: Fed, Win, Rem, CCI

In large rifle Magnum it is: Fed, Rem, CCI, Win

In small pistol it is: Rem, Fed, CCI, Win

In small pistol magnum it is: CCI, Rem, Win, Fed

In large pistol it is: Win, Fed, CCI, Rem

In large pistol magnum it is: Win, CCI, Rem, Fed

In small rifle it is: Fed, CCI, Win, Rem

In small rifle magnum it is: CCI, Win, Rem, Fed

Just kidding

KB

for large pistol primers if it goes bang I'll tailor a load around it. once set I'll stay on that primer for the load though.

Small rifle, I use cci mag or milspec as the only sr I shoot is 5.56.

large rifle is where I am more careful on primers...

Call the suppliers you look at online. I found and bought 4000 fed match 215m primers yesturday. It was all they had. But they had just got them in and had not updated their online inventory yet.

I had a great day shopping yesterday. Picked up the primers, 2lbs of H-1000, and 400rds of 30cal 210 VLD berger!

Gary

Hey that was a great buying day for you. The H-1000 is hard to come by but it is one of my favorites in the 300 Win Mag's.

Thayley

Best way to find them right now is keep searching. Local stores here in Federal Way WA are my best source so far. Hard to believe.

Lefty7mmstw

I really was kidding.
Most of my large rifle primers are Fed #215 in match flavor if I find them because most charges of powder i load are 60gr+. Have a liking for #210 in one load for 45/70. But for all the other rifle calibers that use standard LR primers I use whatever I can find. I haven't found better groups switching primers for average hunting rifles.
For the friends I help I use what I have most of.
For large pistol I prefer CCI #350 Mag. 44 Mag burns H110 and it needs the heat. But for target loads in 44 Mag and all my 45 ACP I use whatever. Haven't found a difference at the lower pressure between any of the standard LP primers.
In small rifle I load 556. CCI #450 Mag is my choice for ball type powders. Any standard primer works for the only load I use with Tubular powder in 556/223 (23.5gr H322, any 55gr bullet). When I developed my 556 loads Arsenal #41 CCI's were not available, but if you like 'em I', going to use 'em.
Small pistol comes down to CCI#550 for mag loads, don't care otherwise. Wife's 380 shoots 90 gr HP;s in front of 4.6gr Unique. Same load in all the manuals so I figures it worked. Doesn't care what sparks it, I haven't found any difference, pressure or velocity, in primers.

LR rifles are the only critter I have found that really dial in changing primers. And mostly with the Magnum calibers at that. Can't justify being picky with the other 90% of stuff I reload.

Luv' you guys!!!

KB (Professional Comedian)

Thayley

Best way to find them right now is keep searching. Local stores here in Federal Way WA are my best source so far. Hard to believe.

Lefty7mmstw

I really was kidding.
Most of my large rifle primers are Fed #215 in match flavor if I find them because most charges of powder i load are 60gr+. Have a liking for #210 in one load for 45/70. But for all the other rifle calibers that use standard LR primers I use whatever I can find. I haven't found better groups switching primers for average hunting rifles.
For the friends I help I use what I have most of.
For large pistol I prefer CCI #350 Mag. 44 Mag burns H110 and it needs the heat. But for target loads in 44 Mag and all my 45 ACP I use whatever. Haven't found a difference at the lower pressure between any of the standard LP primers.
In small rifle I load 556. CCI #450 Mag is my choice for ball type powders. Any standard primer works for the only load I use with Tubular powder in 556/223 (23.5gr H322, any 55gr bullet). When I developed my 556 loads Arsenal #41 CCI's were not available, but if you like 'em I', going to use 'em.
Small pistol comes down to CCI#550 for mag loads, don't care otherwise. Wife's 380 shoots 90 gr HP;s in front of 4.6gr Unique. Same load in all the manuals so I figures it worked. Doesn't care what sparks it, I haven't found any difference, pressure or velocity, in primers.

LR rifles are the only critter I have found that really dial in changing primers. And mostly with the Magnum calibers at that. Can't justify being picky with the other 90% of stuff I reload.

Luv' you guys!!!

KB (Professional Comedian)

The biggest issue I see in pistol primers I see is the Winchester small pistol mag.. It is hot (for the Ball powders) but it is actually so much hotter than most other small pistol primers ( standard or mag.) that you have to reduce your load a lot or risk overpressure switching to them. I don't even have anything using small pistol primers at present, though.

As I sm posting this Midway.com has primers on sale. Jist got an email alert.

Lefty

Did not know WW Small Pistol Magnum primers were the hot dog. Have a load for 357 Mag (16.3gr WW 680, 172gr Lyman #359429 Keith cast bullet, cases cut back to seat length just shy of M 28 cylinder) that takes a lot of fire to get it going. Your info on th Win SPM will be put to use!

Thanks! KB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.