Favorite 6.5 Swede Load

scott63

Living in Northern California my entire life, the
I have several rifles in this caliber and while I am pretty dialed in on reloading for hunting I'm wondering what some of your favorite target shooting loads would be. I've had good results with IMR4064 and 140 grain partitions loaded to just over 2700 fps for hunting but wanted to try 142gr SMK bullets while not trying to set any speed records, or "hot rod" the loads. Rifles used for this would be carbine and long rifle military surplus for CMP shooting. I did search the forum but most people are looking to increase velocity in modern sporting rifles, while I want to shoot these older rifles. Thanks, Scott

My load is 45.5 gr IMR4350 pushing the 142 NABLR. Out of the 23" Pac-nor I'm getting 2800 fps and average a .4" group @ 100. Only tried it out to 400 and getting 2.5-3" groups there. Used it on an axis doe last fall.

As far as the powder charge it comes right out of one of the older Sierra manuals as the accuracy load.
37.8 grs IMR 4895 with 140 gr Sierra Match King. I use Remington cases that have been match prepped by uniforming the primer pockets and removing the burr on the inside of the case flash hole. I use CCIBR2 primers with COAL 3.050 which is max length for working through the magazine in a 96 Swede Mauser. This is a mild load around 2500 fps that is supper accurate and I have won a good number of military shooting matches with this load. Here is a little tip for using the Swede Mausers. Get you a taller front sight and file it down to the point of impact you will need for your chosen load. To make small elevation adjustments between what can be done with the back sight elevator notches use pieces of duct and masking tape under the back sight elevator. At 100 yards a piece of duct tape will move POI about 1" and masking tape will move about 1/2". Have fun.

Hey glad you asked, between the two rifles i have , rem 91/2 primers with lapua brass, i use the 140 matchkings, 142 matchking and 140 gamekings with nearly the same effect on targets. In my 96 i use 45.5 grains of rl22 with the gameking 140 and shoot .25 moa.at 2650 . Bout a 1/2 "with the same load and the sst 140 from hornady. Also have great lucknwith 47.4 grains of mrp behind the 142 gameking in my late model savage. I dont remember the coal but i load them very long .my favorite round , good luck.

Hey glad you asked, between the two rifles i have , rem 91/2 primers with lapua brass, i use the 140 matchkings, 142 matchking and 140 gamekings with nearly the same effect on targets. In my 96 i use 45.5 grains of rl22 with the gameking 140 and shoot .25 moa.at 2650 . Bout a 1/2 "with the same load and the sst 140 from hornady. Also have great lucknwith 47.4 grains of mrp behind the 142 gameking in my late model savage. I dont remember the coal but i load them very long .my favorite round , good luck.

Thanks for the info!

ah :) 6.5 swede
I've been competing in long range and prs with mine for the past few years running the 130gr norma at aprox 2950fps with the VV n160 powder cci 200 primers and norma brass (47gr)
Recently i switched to 140gr RDF and are running those with the same powder at about 2850fps (46.5gr)
Note: My loads are on the high end due to competitions and that it's a good combination of accuracy and speed.

Barrel is a 26" jury and my next barrel will be shipped any day and will end up being 28"

The n160 powder is perfect for the swede using 130+gr bullets if you're not searching for maximum speed, very long barrel life and easy to achieve accuracy.
if you use the n160, don't be afraid to seat the bullet quite deep, it usually works well with the 130's at about 3.05" coal

I don't remember the exact charge, so don't go by this. If you try it, work up of course. But my father is using Berger 140 Hybrids, seated so the bearing surface is at the base of the neck, and it's about .120" off the lands, rifle has a ridiculously long throat. He is using IMR 7828, Nosler brass, CCI Large Rifle primers, I believe 50-51.5 grains, and is getting 2855 fps out of a 24" tube.

I have 3 6.5×55's, a Ruger 1B, a Howa 1500, and a (Waffenfabrik Mauser) M96 Mauser.
The Ruger likes a 125 Nosler Partition over 48gr of RL-19 (2975fps avg & 1 MOA)
The Howa likes 123gr Hornady SST over 46gr H4350 (2997fps avg & .4 MOA)
The Mauser shoots everything sub MOA, but does not like hot loads. I usually push a 129 or 140 just over 2600.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.