Favorite 6.5-06 bullet & load

TBuckus

My rebarrel to a 6.5-06 is getting close to completion (hopefully within the next month or two). I'm not going too extravagant. Staying at a 26" length.

What is your favorite bullet for this cartridge, shooting game and also paper?

I'm planning on trying out the eldx 143gr for hunting first but the LRAB 129gr or a Berger looks promising also.
My friend is getting a 6.5/284 built. They may me done at about the same time. I'm looking forward to some friendly long range competing with him.

My rebarrel to a 6.5-06 is getting close to completion (hopefully within the next month or two). I'm not going too extravagant. Staying at a 26" length.

What is your favorite bullet for this cartridge, shooting game and also paper?

I'm planning on trying out the eldx 143gr for hunting first but the LRAB 129gr or a Berger looks promising also.
My friend is getting a 6.5/284 built. They may me done at about the same time. I'm looking forward to some friendly long range competing with him.

I just getting ready to start testing the 147 ELDM in one of my 6.5/06. I believe that you will be pretty pleased with a 26" barrel. Its a good compromise for an all around rifle. I make my brass from weight sorted 270 Winchester brass. Sorting is critical as I have brass that ranges from 176g to as heavy as 199g. I use 180g - 182g brass as that is the most prevalent sorted into 1g lots.
I was using federal gold medal match primers in all of my 6.5/06, but since those have been inobtainium for quite a while my newest 6.5/06 uses CCI BR-4 primers.
I currently use Berger 140 hybrids in two of my 6.5/06 and would NOT consider changing as they work very well and I have enough components on hand to finish those barrels off.
I tested 500 of the 143 ELDX in another 6.5/06 rifle around 2980fps and a from a 264 win mag at up to just past 3,300 and found the 143 ELDX to need some sorting to shoot better than 1MOA and SD in the twenties in the rifles I tested in. However, with some sorting I could get .4MOA and high single digit SD reliably. I found that accuracy started tailing off noticeably after about 70 to 80 rounds and I needed to remove copper fouling in both rifles. Then they were good to go for another 80ish rounds. That particular 6.5/06 barrel is approaching 1,000 rounds down the pipe and is what I have used for preliminary load development for all of my 6.5/06 as they all were cut with the same reamer.
The advertised BC of the ELDX tracked very closely for me out to 1k yards in both of those rifles. Expansion also tested to be consistent, predictable and reliable into wet newspaper media out to 800 yards. I suspect as long as the impact velocity is more than 1500fps the ELDX won't let you down.
I use H4831sc in one rifle, Norma 217 in one rifle and have tried H-1000, Norma URP, R-25, 7828SC and Ramshot Magnum among others over the years in my guinea pig rifle. Several guys like RETUMBO and I've been following some forum reports on the new R-26.
It's hard to go wrong with a well made 6.5/06 shooting slick 140 class bullets around 3,000fps. Everything elk and smaller inside of 1,000 yards is on the menu. If you keep it cool and clean you should have no problem getting 1,500 rounds out of it.

In my 6.5-06 shoot 140 Berger good with 48gr IMR 4831, 24 in. barrel. Shoots 1/2 moa but only get 2800 fps. My boy killed a nice 6x6 at 520 yards with that load last year.

I tried 7977 and got to 2950 fps but couldn't find acceptable accuracy with 140 bergers or 143 EDLX.

Just tried 129LRAB with IMR 4831 at 3000fps and they shot the best of all loads about 1/3 minute at 300 yds.

Great choice your going to love it

This is my current go-to combination for my 6.5-06 with a 24" 1:8 twist barrel. 142gr LR Accubond, 1/3 MOA (at 300 yards) with 59grs of Retumbo, CCI 200 primers, 0.015 off lands at 3130 fps. Using necked down Lapua 30-06 cases (2.490", necks turned). Please don't assume this load will be possible in all circumstances but I was able to work up to this load. I'm not going to say there are no pressure signs but the cases do not stick and I have fired some of the cases 5 times; holding up well and primer pockets still tight. The reason I stay here is this is a very consistent round for me and has proven extremely reliable on dropping deer at longer ranges. At this twist rate and velocity the advertised BC is very close in my experience. This is strictly a hunting rifle so I am not too concerned with barrel life but it is commonly borrowed by friends/family throughout the hunting seasons because it has been so reliable.

That is everyone. It's good to see a variety of 140's being used. After taking my 338 win mag to the range yesterday to get ready for spring bear, I'm looking forward to a rifle that is a little more enjoyable to shoot.

I picked up some nosler 25-06 brass to resize since I currently don't have the ability to turn necks. Do you guys notice much of a difference with necking up vs down? Is brass longevity longer?

I tried all powder but rl 26
140 hyb
54.0 vit n 165
CCi br 2
Rem 25-06 sorted
3027 fps
Last 3 shots at a 1000 was 4 inches.

I picked up some nosler 25-06 brass to resize since I currently don't have the ability to turn necks. Do you guys notice much of a difference with necking up vs down? Is brass longevity longer?[/QUOTE]

I would take it back and get some 270 Winchester brass. No need to turn necks, (unless you have a custom neck diameter chamber of coarse) just full length size it to move the shoulder and then trim for length. .25/06 ends up short and doesn't last as well. They seldom last beyond three firings before they get thin in the case head. I usually get 6-8 firings from modified 270 brass.

I liked necked down 270 as well. Currently shooting RL26 and 140 bergers with great accuracy. 3000 fps.

I necked down 270 and neck up 25-06. I haven't seen any difference. The last 25-06 I necked up, wasn't short. Don't think one will have better case life over the other

I'm having a pre64 Mod 70 rebarreled to 6.5/06 myself, and I also chose the 8" twist. I, however, don't shoot unwounded game out past 375 or so, just a preference of mine. I like a 24" bbl and also was wondering about the 25/06 necked up. I have a bunch of new Nosler 270 win, but was thinking of trying the Nosler 25/06. I also found some Remington 25/06 brass. So, when you say they end up short, is this really an issue with a hunting rifle? I ask that as I used a 35 Whelen AI for a tad over 20 yrs and fireformed new Remington Whelen brass always came out a bit short. I never trimmed any for years! If it hurt anything in my rifle I never saw it, but again, I never shot but one animal at 347yds, the rest were under 275.

My 6.5-06 load is 50.7 gr of IMR 7828 with Remington 9.5m primers and necked up 25-06 norma brass , lilja 3 groove 1 in 8 twist barrel shooting 140 grain bergers. I had to give it a bit of a jump and when I did that I went from a dime at 100 yds to a 3/16 4 shot group at 100 yds - center to center OAL in mine is 3.405. I haven't had any problems with necked up brass so far , I'm still going with my original 25 brass and don't know exactly how many reloadings I have on them ( I have 50 brass now ) My FPS is 2820 ,nice easy just deadly accurate load , I love that thing! The only problem I have is keeping it away from my 15 year old kid , he loves it to . Those 140 grainers work really well on everything deer elk antelope and coyotes so far. We shoot a fair bit out to 800 ( actually a lot ) so he was really comfortable when he got his cow elk at 669 yds. I wouldn't have let him take that shot if I knew he couldn't make it, and that coyote I got sunday at 629 never knew what hit him:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts