Faulty barrels on 338Lapua Rem 700P

Discussion in 'Australia, New Zealand' started by knocker, Jul 23, 2008.

1. knocker

knocker New Member

Hello,
    I have just taken my second M700P 338 Lapua back to the dealer with a faulty barrel. The rep here in Australia is interested in replacing again and told me to go and buy a Sako. Good factory backup. I know of three other people that have had the same issues. Remingtons QA is obviously not very good. Inspect the barrel just past the throat area. Cheers

2. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill Well-Known Member

Hi weve one here in the workshop this is what we are doing to it.

Re barrel with 26" Lawton barrel SSG V port break,
    fully true action lapp lugs fit a pinned lawton lug.
    bed the action into the factory stock.
    Fit a Defensive Edge cheek piece.
    Fit a Tac Ops bolt knob.
    Make and fit a custom 20moa tapered base.
    Supply and fit a Seekins 5 shot 3.9" detachable mag system.
    Then re paint it all black.

I would recommend getting a seccond hand mag action or a mag sps then buils a 338 Edge and choose the stock you actualy want and the rifle will be heaps cheeper than a 338 Lapua Sako or the Rem Police made how it should have been from the factory.

The ultramag case is a better fit in the rem action any how.

Just a piece of info the actions used for the 338 Lapua are significantly harder than other rem chrome molly and stainless actions I know this from machining them for extended mag systems and pinning recoil lugs. so Remington must think other actions are not hard or strong enough fir a safe margin off reloader error with the big Lapua case.

Cheers Bill
    Australia

3. btm_54

btm_54 Well-Known Member

How much would a custom build like the 338 Edge you mentioned be worth roughly?