fastest 338 caliber?Build advice?

Do not wory about me taking shoots at animals beyond my capabilities. I have killed many big game animals out to 600yards with a 300mag and 300ultra mag. I always shoot until they are down or out of sight. I have not wounded one. But some day I will wound(no one is perfect) an animal and then shooting a more powerfull caliber may make things much easier for me and the animal.

I could shoot out much further since I hunt BIG country. I do not won't to cary anything over 10 to 11lbs since I ususally do multi day pack hunt to get to unpressure game.

I am not looking for a magic gun or a FIGHT, just trying to become a better hunter and marksman like all of us. I might stick with the 300 ultra who knows.

Thanks for all of the info, Gabe

I dont think anyone has their boxing gloves on just yet my friend. I think 50's post gives you what you are looking for. As you can see each to their own !

You are on the right forum to get the best advice for sure.

Nothing like a little spirited debate in good humour !

Good luck with your choice.

DUH

CoUltra,
No fight or flogging intended. Maybe I was constipated or something when I read & responded so it just came out wrong (no pun intended to you either Mr. Long Timer:D). You are already a step ahead of the game by making killing shots out to 600yards.

Mr. Long Timer,
I too think we are on the same page, just looking at it from different angles. My point was this: A move up in caliber/power isn't necessarily a move up in performance. I agree that a larger bullet from a big cartridge has the potential to do more damage. That is only part of the equation, with bullet placement being #1. If you don't match it up with the right bullet you have gained little to nothing. Maybe even taken a step backwards.

The same shot with my 338-378 and about all you see is the feet flying up in the air and the first thing that hits the ground is the top of their back. In other words let the animal walk to where you want to dress it, then shoot and go dress it there. That really helps in some hunting situations.

That's awesome. I like that !

To my knowledge Kirby Allens 338 is the fastest. As stated it needs to be on a larger after market action.

However I have two 338 X 378 Keith Thompson Improved. One is in a undesignated Savage Target action on a handgun platform and the other is in a Savage long Action. Just working on loads using the 245gr .9 BC Lehigh bullet and out of my handgun (17" barrel) I am getting well past 2900fps. I have done nothing yet in the rifle as I hunt with a handgun only.

I do know a couple guys that are running this cartridge in rifles and are getting 150fps more velocity than the 338 Lapua Improved. Increase the barrel length from 26" to 32" and the velocity gain will probably increase another 150fps?

Neal

I agree with Kirby on the classes of 338's. For me it comes down to a choice of practicality. I see only 2 choices here the 338 Edge/Lapua class or the 338 AM class. The middle class requires more work for the most part than i am willing to give for the performance increase. If I am going to fireform, buy high dollar brass, expensive dies etc I am going to build a 338 AM and have the AA dragster version 338. If I want easy reloading, reasonable cost etc I would look to the Edge/Lapua class rounds. I have both and they both have there issues. Like Kirby sadi it depends on a handfull of answers to your questions to get you whatr you need. I believe you key issue is weight a 11-12 lb finished rifle rules out the 338 AM class rifles. Now the key question is, do I want to take on more work / expense for the velocity gain by going with a Lapua Imp, Kahn, or AE. When you answer that I beleive you will be looking at the best class for your needs.

does anyone have good case capacity values for these cartridges. Every thread I see on a 338 seems to suggest the edge is so much more than the basic 338 rum, I just dont see how an 1/8 inch is going to make that much difference. Why has this not been a big deal with the 300win necked up to 338?

does anyone have good case capacity values for these cartridges. Every thread I see on a 338 seems to suggest the edge is so much more than the basic 338 rum, I just dont see how an 1/8 inch is going to make that much difference. Why has this not been a big deal with the 300win necked up to 338?

Here are the numbers I use (Water capacity in Grains), 338AM and Edge numbers are those I've obtained directly. The 338RUM number is from Quickload.

338 Allen Mag TTI Brass 172gr (Jamison Brass is 171gr)
338 Edge Remington Brass 118gr
338 Rum 111gr

AJ

wow, the 338 AM is a major step up, what is the OD of the case?

Why not much talk about the Lazzeroni line?

Right now any of the 338s based off the 408 case are tops for speed.

Bruce Baer has his 338 "Big Baer" also.

This is a super flat shooting and more importantly accurate setup. Joel Russo and Bruce shoot theirs in the mile matches we have.

Bruce is a top notch builder, LR hunter for 40 yrs and top notch LR competitor.

www.baercustomrifles.com

BH

BH,

The 338 Big Baer, 338 Sniper Tac and 338 Extreme are all so similiar that they are about as identical as they can get without chambering each other. The differences are extremely slight but performance identical.

The 338 Chey Tac is the most unimproved of the lot.

My 338 AM has the shoulder location moved forward and steeper shoulder angle for the most case capacity of the bunch.

As you said, They are all accurate but you imply that Bruce is the only one that can build an accurate 338 on the 408 case. I respect Bruce tremendously but I assure you there are many out there building extreme accuracy 338 wildcats on the 408 case. I have built several dozen myself. :D

thanks for the info,

what about the capacities of the 340 wtby and the 338-378. I guess the Asquare variants of the 338-378 are similar also.

And with regard to the edge vs rum, if the case OAL is the same for both loaded with 250 or 300 gr bullets, is the usable capacity differences even less between these.

thanks for the info,

what about the capacities of the 340 wtby and the 338-378. I guess the Asquare variants of the 338-378 are similar also.

And with regard to the edge vs rum, if the case OAL is the same for both loaded with 250 or 300 gr bullets, is the usable capacity differences even less between these.

From Quickload:
338-378 137gr
340 WBY 100gr

Loading an Edge down to the same OAL length as a 338Rum would look kinda silly and would kinda defeat the purpose. It would be like saying the 308 and 30-06 are pretty much the same if you load them to the same OAL :rolleyes:

AJ

Last edited:
but the 308 is .5 inches shorter, the edge and rum are less than .1 apart

I'm building on a standard length action (7mmRemMag). Mag length is 3.3" so I am going to be using this as a single shot. Then, the next limiting factor is the action opening. I think I can go a little longer than the standard 3.6" for the rums, but not much longer. My guess is that seating a 250 or 300 bullet within this length will leave a lot of bullet in the case, and maybe reducing much of the benefit of the edge over the standard 338rum. And, leaving about a .1 inch more jump to the lands with some bullets.

It seems I keep running into limits that will lead me to going with a 338rum. I am not disappointed, as this is probably more than enough practical power for me anyway. Im just turning stones now before I make the call. I like the dakota for the OAL but don't want to deal with the larger bolt head.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.