Fast Barrels ? ? ?

STEEL SLINGER

There are a couple other shooting forms that I lurk around on and recently on one there were some fellas discussing the various barrel manufactures and types of rifling. In this post there was several comments made about the velocities achieved from brand "A" vs. brands "B", "C" and "D" and that brand "A" produces faster barrels. This was not discussing rate of twist. . .this was basically trying a "apples to apples" (caliber, ammo, twist, barrel length, ect.) comparison of barrel manufacturers and one producing better velocities over others. I'm not a gunsmith and I have had my share of custom guns and by no means a novice, but how is this possible or is there any truth to this? For me, I think all barrels are unique to themselves, like finger prints, so you will never know until you put powder and lead down the tube. Has anyone ever heard of this or can educate me about this "faster barrel"?

Some manufactures of barrels are faster than others is true. Lapping, bore and groove demenisions play a big part. I have some 17 and 20 cal Green Mountain barrels on some of my varment calibers and they are slower because of the bore dimensions are bigger although they shoot .5 m.o.a.

From all my readings on this forum, rock creek and hart barrels are observed to be somewhat(25-50fps) faster than most the others. Not much of a difference.....

I have shot same brand barrels and you will find that different bareels from same manufacturer will be 25fps even up to 50 different. There's alot of variables length of barrel, freebore, design of reamer, ect.

Yes typicallygood barrels speed up after 75 -100 rounds. My comparisons weren't new compared to ones that had 200 rounds down them.

Yes typicallygood barrels speed up after 75 -100 rounds. My comparisons weren't new compared to ones that had 200 rounds down them.
The round count still is a variable that can't be controlled... One barrel can wear in faster than another depending on internal machining and shooting conditions such as rate of fire and temperature. Things are almost never apples to apples in the shooting world...

Last edited:
The round count still is a variable that can't be controlled... One barrel can wear in faster than another depending on internal machining and shooting conditions such as rate of fire and temperature. Things are almost never apples to apples in the shooting world...
Yes that is correct, but I know for a fact that bore and groove dimensions play a very large roll in FPS it there bigger.

Yes that is correct, but I know for a fact that bore and groove dimensions play a very large roll in FPS it there bigger.
yup... that's why some brands of factory rifles (cough...Remington) tend to be rather slow and need more powder than book loads to make velocity...

Well, my experience is that each barrel has its own personality.
I have just started my 5th Kreiger on my F Class 308. All the same contour and twist.
When I look back at my notes, I started load development with the same load in each and there has been 150 fps variation between the fastest and slowest. All cut with the same chamber reamer.

All have been made to shoot well with slight variations in powder charge and seating depth.

For my hunting rifles I prefer Lilja barrels....just because I like how that word sounds :)

Last edited:
Well, my experience is that each barrel has its own personality.
I have just started my 5th Kreiger on my F Class 308. All the same contour and twist.

These are my thoughts too. . .each one is unique unto itself regardless of manufacture. Just to many variables in the mix to say that each barrel is a clone and will repeat the ballistics each and every time to be "crowned the fastest barrel."

I recall an article from 25 or 30 years ago, some writer acquired 2 identical R700 in 30-06 that were 1 serial number apart and they shot differently and preferred different factory loads. It is like shopping for a wife, you might have to try more than one before you find one you REALLY like!

The simple fact is that a looser bore will have higher velocity than a tighter bore with the SAME load.
A rougher bore, within reason, will also be slower than a smoother bore.

This is why SAAMI test barrels are ALL at minimum sizes, both groove/bore and chamber dimensions.
This is why it is often not doable to get the same velocity in a factory barrel with the SAME load/components as what's in a loading manual.
This also why some barrels run faster due to looser tolerances and vice versa.

Cheers.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.