Farthest shot

Longest hit on intended target 910yds on rocks. Longest hit on animal, last sunday evening 450yds (10pt buck) shooting prone with my new 270-300 ULTRA. 135 Match Kings preformance was excellent.

Coyote 860 paces 6mm Remington,Prairie Dog
550 yards 6 Ackley,Rockchuck 460 yards 6 Ackley and many PD's have received a dust
bath at 1000 yards but no connects yet.

I read with interest (and a bit of envy)all these good long range shots.would any one class my 220yard shot on a rabbit with a .22 rimfire as long range.

shocked.gif

I noticed somebody made a nice shot on an Elk at 2890 yards. I was wondering what level of accuracy is possible at this range? Specifically group size and first round hit percentage in the vitals (first shot after the spotter shots). Also, a lot of the 1000 yard targets I see posted on the net show the group a considerable distance from the bullseye. Since they're shooting for groups only hitting the bullseye isn't important of course, but some of these groups are several feet away from the bull. I'm assuming that they were shooting the first round at or near the bullseye and for whatever reason the group ended up way off the bull. That's somewhat discouraging for a hunter considering that these targets are from competition shooters.

I believe the 2890 yd elk was hit 3 out of 5 shots, that's pretty good shooting.
The groups being a couple feet from the bullseye in competition shooting is because of a change in some condition and in 1000 yd B/R competition there is nobody spotting for the shooter during the record string, and nobody spotting the shots from pits like military type shooting. In long range hunting there is and always should be one or more spotters.

My longest hit on an inanimate target was 1890yds with a heavy barreled .243. I was using the Sierra 107gr VLD bullets.
Deer - 575yds (30-06)
Coyote - 480yds (.243)
Gopher - 470yds (.243)
Gopher - 210yds (.22 rimfire)

* A gopher is a ground squirrel and is about a half to a third the size of a prairie dog.

Nice shooting guys. My longest hit on a gopher was 304 yards with 22LR. 653 Yards with 220 Swift improved, shooting 55gr V-max. Last season I shot a whitetail at 547 yards with 220 swift improved shooting 55gr seirra BTSP. The shot passed competely through despite hitting a rib on each side.

whitetail 1110 yds,groundhog 740 yds running away, groundhog 1300 had to hit it twice to get a kill

Wow!!!

Nothing like some of you guys, but here goes.
Whitetail doe @ 426 yards 25-06
Groundhog @ 514 with .308
Groundhog @ 178 with 17HMR (rimfire)
Crow @ 286 with .243

D.C.,
Gave a groundhog a good scare with the 6.5 Gibbs I got from you at 735 yards. I just need more time with it.

Russ

Prairie Dog at 1044 yds with my 6.5-284 and a 142 gr SMK. Witnessed by *WyoWhisper*.Several others at 550 -850 yds. RockChuck at 550yds. Deer at 310 yds. Hope to increase that this fall. Coyote at 525 yds. Fox at 1240, after he stole one of my 850 yd PDs. Good Hunting!!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.