Factory Lightweight rifles for western hunting.

Pick your caliber wisely. I wanted a 300 WSM in a Remington TI forever for packing in the mountains. I was able to shoot one at a dealer demo days and it kicked like 7 mules. The rifle was sweet but once you pulled the trigger you forgot about how sweet it looked. I was glad I never found one for sale before the demo days. I later purchased a Browning A-Bolt that a buddy had sent to CA and rebarreled with a carbon wrapped barrel and had a muzzle brake installed. It shot fantastic with 180 grain TTSX bullets and was under the 7 lbs mark with a older Leupold 4-12 scope on it. Not light as compared to some today but when I got it most of my rifles were in the 9-10 lbs range. very nice to pack in the mountains.

My lightweight rifle is a Cooper Backcountry M92 in 6.5 PRC. Bare rifle weights 5.75 lbs. The Backcountry's are chambered in a lot of different calibers. You can also find then in the used market if that is your preference.

I wonder what @SofaKing went with? There has been some good input by members on options to consider. Crickets from the OP. I dont like heavy rifles (over 10#) hunting when considerable walking is involved. I don't like light rifles (under 7#) when shooting. i look at the all in weight and balance when choosing my the rifle and optics. The sweet spot for me is under 9#'s with 8.5# being just about the perfect compromise.

I wonder what @SofaKing went with? There has been some good input by members on options to consider. Crickets from the OP. I dont like heavy rifles (over 10#) hunting when considerable walking is involved. I don't like light rifles (under 7#) when shooting. i look at the all in weight and balance when choosing my the rifle and optics. The sweet spot for me is under 9#'s with 8.5# being just about the perfect compromise.
You beat me to it. Your post popped up as I was typing to check on the status. 🤣

I have the Wby Backcountry Carbon in 6.5RPM and really like it. Very easy to carry and still pretty easy to shoot well after gaining 700' in a hurry. I have carried this rifle for close to 90 miles over the last 2 years most of them in the mountains and it will be my primary again next year. It cost close to building a custom, but this is essentially what I would build anyway.

Attachments

• 6.5 RPM.jpg
    6.5 RPM.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 62
  • Wby BCC Snowy.jpg
    Wby BCC Snowy.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 65
I ended up getting a great deal on a savage 110 ultralight in 300 wsm.

I have the Wby Backcountry Carbon in 6.5RPM and really like it. Very easy to carry and still pretty easy to shoot well after gaining 700' in a hurry. I have carried this rifle for close to 90 miles over the last 2 years most of them in the mountains and it will be my primary again next year. It cost close to building a custom, but this is essentially what I would build anyway.
Which scope is that? And what is your overall weight?