Factory ammo vs. specific load

pretex

Is factory ammo as precise/good as a specific load for a caliber?

For example could factory ammo be used for a BDC chart/turret?

in my experience...

the BDC o Ballistic plex is most useful only with factory loads, my
"precision" loads dont always match the drop on these reticles.

my 3006 with winchester powerpoints 150 grains (gray box) matches beautiful the ballistic plex on my burris, but I still can`t match a load to the BDC in my 6.5-284 long range rifle!!!!

the loads that I have developed for this rifle(6.5-284) that nearly match the drop on the reticle shoot poorly.

by the way, how much drop is in the BDC reticle?

In the burris ballistic plex the drop is: 0 @ 100 yards, -3 @ 200, -13.5 @ 300, -30 @ 400 and -55 @ 500 yards.

Dont know if the nikon is the same!!!!!!!

Joe
thats my experience...

I think if you develop a hand load you will be more accurate. A hand load will not always match up with a BDC. A factory load will not always match up either. It is best to go to the range and shoot at those distances and see where your bullet lands. Your 300 yard mark might not really work out because the bullet might be dead on at 270 or 335 yards. Every bullet is different.

Factory ammo, even premium, doesn't do exactly what the manufacturer says it does in all rifles. If you want to be accurate a long distances, then yoiu will have to develop a drop chart for that particular ammo you are intending to use. BDC in reticles are quick and easy, but usually not that accurate.

Is factory ammo accurate enough to used with a costum bdc knob/turret set up for one kind of factory ammo? Or will reloaded be more reliable?

I do handload..

but if I try to match the BDC drop, that load shoots poorly.

I have shot with my ruger m77 in 3006 topped with a burris ballistic plex scope and found that it shoots where its aimed.

at 100 dead zero, at 200 half an inch to the right at 300 yards half an inch below, 400 yards and the reticle is dead on, at 500 yards the shot went south by almost two inches....and this is constantly, and enough for me.

I still dont like this "compensated" reticles a lot, when I go hunting I still zero them at 220/250 yards. my muscle memory with the adrenalin pumping still make me shoot with a 8 inches MPBR picture.

my two cents...
JOE from mexico.

Any of the fixed drop raticals are good for 1 bullet BC and 1 velosity. I personally like to use target knobs and dial in my drop. It doesn`t take that long and I know it`s right. I do prefer to use mil dots for windage and lead on running targets.

pretex,

I've never tried. But I would not believe factory ammo would be consistent enough. You're better off handoading, so you get the same performance every time. There is "match" ammo. This should be more consistent. But, calibers will be very limited.

pretex,
I have a factory Remington 700 Classic in 300 Weatherby that shoots Remington 180 gr. ammo better than anything I have loaded. It is a 1/2 inch rifle with this load and nothing else I have tried can do this consistently. I've had this rifle for 16 years and I have tried god knows how many loads but the factory ammo still does it. This is not a LR rifle so I never kept track of ES or SD and I'm sure there is a load out there but I quit trying to find it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.