F class what to go with???

mo

Ok , I have a mcmillan a4, model 70 sa, and Jimboo300 gave me a 284 cal. barrel. I would like to know what cartridge some of you would go with in this caliber? I was thinking a 284 winchester or a 7mm AI, any other ideas?

The regular 284 reciently set the world record , so thats some points in its side.

The 7WSM would be good but I'd weight the stock so that its right at the 22lb weight limit to fight the recoil , shooting 60 rounds through a light to mid weight 308 can make most guy jumpy.

I'd chamber it for 284 and have it throated so that the 180gr Bergers seat out so that the baot tail is just into the bottom of the neck/shoulder this wat your not getting into the powder area to much and their is still plenty of neck holding the bullet , this will likely mean that you have to single shot the rifle.

If you could run the 180s through the 284 at 2900 whats not to like....as long as your not overly recoil sensitive:) Even at what I would consider more likely velocities the 180s will be shooting right there with anything else.

Or you could buy a new barrel (1-7.5 twist , 6mm) have it chambered for 6x47 Lapua , run the 115gr Bergers out at 3000+fps , little to no recoil , 100 brass should last the life of the barrel .

eddybo and I know of a great reamer and a guy that'll do a half way decient job fitting it up for ya :D ,

But the 180gr Berger at eve 2800fps is pretty **** impressive ballisitcaly even out past 1000yds.

barrel

I was thinking of letting James Jones put me a barrel on, but someone told me that you lost your machines during Katrina... So I was thinking on sending it to Nate308. Unless you want to train Eddybo on his new toy he just received??? Eddybo keeps Don to tied up with his guns to take to him. LOL Don is going to go broke when Eddybo becomes an expert riflesmith...

Yep , we'll just each have to take turns going up their and feeding him.

I lost the tools to work with when I got a new job , I work for the Government now and they don't even like to to talk about guns their , ut boy they have some nice tools.
I'd let eddybo build me a gun , hes watched Don enough , just have to make sure not to get any blood stains or stuff on it ;)

I have Nate build all my stuff that I can't do myself , you won't be dissapointed , I'm gonna be sending him some parts soon.

One thing yall can bet on is that I will not be building any guns for anyone for a looong time. Mr. Don isnt going to be around forever and when he hangs up his tools I want to be self sufficient. Maybe in ten years I will build some guns for others....if we still have guns then:mad:

Me and Don just got back from Baton Rouge. He knew a guy with some drill bits, taps and dies, and misc. tooling. I got some good stuff at junk stuff prices.:) I wonder if any of the tools I got today will be the tool that gets my finger.

I have a .30 cal barrel that would make you a great .308 then you could shoot FTR. Next Saturday I am going to try out FTR with my new 223 with a 7 twist throated wayyyyy long for the 90 bergers. You coming mo30284, is Jimbo going to show?

I may even take that 7mm barrel as partial trade:)

hot

Eddybo I know Jimbo will be there for sure. I don't have a gun to shoot, but the real reason is it's just to hot for me!!!! I will let you know about the barrel. Jimbo is hooked on this f class deal. I was telling him about a 25 class reunion we are having, and he said I hope it's not on the same day as the f class match, because if it is I'm not coming to the class reunion. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

I skipped mine to go to a match:) But thats okay I skipped school a lot to go hunting. Man I have guns and if a jelly roll like myself can take the heat a fit fellow such as yourself shouldnt even break a sweat. They put fans in the pits last month it was a big relief. Let me know if you want me to load you some bullets. Or better yet, if you want to shoot my 6BR I have plenty loaded. Harold got 3rd with my BR last month so it shoots pretty good. You and Jimbo should walk away with first and second if you come shoot. Just let me know I will bring everything you need.

I just got through shooting my new 223 (well actually I only stopped because I was scared I was going to hit one of the deer that keep walking around my target) I am convinced those FTR guys better tighten up. I am convinced I can shoot the same score with this 223 as I can with my 6x47. I do not know how much I will be affected by the swap to a bipod but it hasnt bothered me before.

Tell Jimbo that I finally got those bullets to Kevin. Kevin sent his thanks.....right before he started destroying my targets with them:)

7mm Dakota

Ever heard of it? It's a zippy little round that might just do the trick for ya. Redding makes dies as well. If your looking for something not so "mainstream" this may interest you.

the brass (least it used to be) is all Lapua so you can be assured its good stuff.

If you call Dakota Arms, ask for Ward. 605 347 3220

Good luck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.