What brand of action to go with

MN Hunter

I am contemplating have a 260 rem or 6.5x284 built. I have narrowed down my action choices down to Borden, Defiance or Surgeon. Any experiences or suggestions?

The rest of the gun will be a 26" Brux #5 contour interrupted fluted barrel, B+C pro stock, EGW bases and rings and a jewell trigger.

The gun will be used for punching paper, coyotes, antelope and deer.

Thanks in advance for your input.

A vote for Defiance. I am just about to leave to pick up my new 300 win with a Defiance action. I am pumped. I have looked it over and am very pleased wih the quality. The people you deal with are top notch and do what they say, they even got it to us earlier that promised. I cant wait to pull the trigger on this one.... and yes it has a Jewell.

Jeff

Check with Surgeon for delivery date. A good friend was at Prague (that is where Surgeon is located) about 3 weeks ago and they wouldn't take an order & deposit on a rifle. They told him to check back in 6 months or so, maybe they would be in position then. Now, that was on a complete rifle, not just an action. Seems they are in the running for a military contract. If they get that contract it could be a long wait.

My custom was built last summer with a Surgeon single shot short action. I think it took a couple of weeks for the action to get to Jim See. The actions are perfect.

Yep, Nate puts a PTG bolt in with accel firing pin, times the bolt handle, flutes the bolt. Glenn builds the action body to Nate's specs. He has done this with my lawton 7000 action, Pheonix, and my Defiance. They were all around the same price complete. They are all nice actions, but the Defiance is my favorite.

Brent

+1 Defiance, I love mine. $775 with all the bells and whistles is what I paid for mine.http://Brent

I just bought a complete Defiance long action with extended tenion, polished, one piece deep fluted bolt, #8 mounts screw holes and bolt release. It was about $400 more than yours.

Awesome action! fit and finish is great.

Jeff

Guys I went back and found the reciept to make sure and it is $775(ordered in first part of '09). When I build I visit with Nate on what I want. He tells me what problems I might face with the components and warns me of potential issues. We get a build planned and I let Nate order all components. It usually takes a year or better this way, but I know the end result will be outstanding. If you look on his website he has some video of timing and attaching bolt handles. I didn't realize all the work that is involved in making a rifle function flawlessly. I am sure most others offer the same service, but this one only lives 35miles from me:D.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.