Explained flyers but how do I fix

Try measuring your necks with something like Holland's Ball Vernier Micrometer to check the consistency. It may change your mind or eliminate a variable. I fire form then turn , as opposed to turning new brass before it's been fired.

Yes the Norma brass is brand new and sized. The smith that built my rifle is shooting next to me with the exact same setup and doesn't have the problems I do so the search goes on. I've dodged the question a couple times but I do not turn necks nor have weight sorted. I was hoping that going with a higher end brass I would not have to deal with neck issues as much.

Have you tried any groups with the once fired brass? I'm curious if once fired then resized produces the same results.

No I haven't with this new rifle I started with fresh win brass then switched overs on rest Norma brass

Guy shooting next to you shooting the same load or what? Might wanna take a look at your dies/set up. Run-out is like shanking the ball off the tee, it shows up when you ain't looking.

It is possible that the problem is not your load but the set-up. I got random flyers when first using the Magnetospeed. I also have found that if the unit shifts from recoil, even slightly upon firing, that the flyers were worse and I got variations in my velocities. I would not use the MS when accuracy testing. The unit can effect barrel harmonics. See if you eliminate your flyers when the unit is not attached. I would then test for velocity making absolutely sure that the MS is tightly mounted to the barrel and does not move using witness marks. See if your velocities are more consistent. I'm not sure that this is your problem, but it would be the first thing I would check upon reading your post.IMHO.
In my opinion. Any amount of time you save by strapping a MS on a barrel instead of taking time to set up a un-attached chrono, you are going to loose that time re shooting the loads for accuracy AND POI testing.

Not to mention wasted rounds and barrel life.

I dont get it. But that's just my opinion.

I can appreciate your viewpoint and would fully agree if the only advantage of the Magnetospeed was the ease of set up. I have wasted substantially more ammo getting erroneous data from optical chronographs. Unless you have highly controlled lighting conditions, it's hard to trust the results. I can't remember the number of times I would get different readings on different days. And that's with an Oehler 35 with a lot of attention to set-up. I haven't used it since I bought the MS.It's well worth it to me to use the 10 additional rounds to get rock solid data that I can trust. IMO.

I have to admit that I have built a great lighting control surrounding for my chrono.

To the OP;
I weigh each and every charge TWICE , neck turn, anneal, sort bullets by weight and bearing surface, weigh fire formed cases, check concentricity of seated bullets, use match primers and still get fliers.

Makes me want to scream to have a .25 moa group turn into a .75 moa group.
I'm positive it's something that I am doing. (My shooting ability)

Is the other rifle close enough in headspace to try your ammo or the other way around? How far off the lands are you? Have you tried measuring OAL to the bearing surface?

I have to admit that I have built a great lighting control surrounding for my chrono.

To the OP;
I weigh each and every charge TWICE , neck turn, anneal, sort bullets by weight and bearing surface, weigh fire formed cases, check concentricity of seated bullets, use match primers and still get fliers.

Makes me want to scream to have a .25 moa group turn into a .75 moa group.
I'm positive it's something that I am doing. (My shooting ability)
tbrice23,
Here is what I use as a guide to whats affecting a group.
1. Horizontal is Mother nature
2. Vertical is the load
3. ANYTHING at an angle out of the group ( 10am to 4pm or 2pm to 8pm or so) is the "loose nut behind the butt plate slapping the trigger as the cross hairs cross over the group or anticipating recoil, cheek pressure on the stock, ETC.
The other cause may be if you are starting with a cold clean barrel and the bullet strikes start to rise out of the group as the fouling in the barrel increases the pressure behind the bullet because of velocity increasing.

.2 grains shouldn't make 50 to 75 fps. Make sure to sort your brass by weight as well but do it after they are all prepped and resized. Trim brass to exactly the same length. Bevel necks after trimming as consistently as possible. Weigh each bullet and sort.

yes it can. Try shooting a 223 at long range. My node is only .3 grains wide. To the op, your problem is either case capacity differences, charge weight (2/10ths aint gonna cut it for serious long range work) or neck tension. If all 3 arn't right, you get fliers.

These groups were shot this morning. Very light to 5mph head wind. I was watching my windflags as best I could.
This was a 300WM 168 vld h1000 215M. In a heavy barreled savage and about 3 minutes between shots and 5 min between groups.
I had cleaned after shooting last and had 7 shots prior to these groups.
I was cussing a bit.
All shot at 200 yards.

Attachments

• 20150501_130216.jpg
    20150501_130216.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150501_130143.jpg
    20150501_130143.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 84
These groups were shot this morning. Very light to 5mph head wind. I was watching my windflags as best I could.
This was a 300WM 168 vld h1000 215M. In a heavy barreled savage and about 3 minutes between shots and 5 min between groups.
I had cleaned after shooting last and had 7 shots prior to these groups.
I was cussing a bit.
All shot at 200 yards.
tbrice23,
The 83.6 group shows less vertical. Could be a good node to test again OR try 83.4 and 83.5! Shot #5 "happy feet on the trigger?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.