"Expert advice"

britz

Saturday morning I went to the range at 8 in order to get ahead of all those preseason shooters. I was just finishing up with my shooting when I had a nice older gentleman set up alongside of me. I just had to ask when I saw he was shooting a hvbl savage .223 w/ a barrel deresonator on it. "How does it work?" He replied that he didn't know and was just trying to see where he could place it to best reduce his recoil and jump on his rifle between shots.
I was natureally a little confused and curious so I asked him if there was any improvement and tried to get more infoe out of him.

Here he had gone to a local sportingoods store and told them that he was having trouble reaquiring prairydogs after shooting because of the recoil. They told him to try the deresonator to cut recoil and barrel jump down.

It never ceases to amaize me how much bad advice one can get from some of the shops like Sportsmans warehouse, cabellas, sheels, gander mt ....

I have found a few knowledgable salespeople, but they seem to be few and far between.

It never ceases to amaize me how much bad advice one can get from some of the shops like Sportsmans warehouse, cabellas, sheels, gander mt ....

I have found a few knowledgable salespeople, but they seem to be few and far between.

I hear you on that one. And it is just getting worse and worse. Sportsman's Warehouse's creed is "knowledgeable sales staff to help you with your outdoor needs". Yet, with the four here in Utah, you might be able to scrounge up one or two knowledgeable guys from each store and combine them together to get a real hunting dept. Currently, there is only one guy from the four stores that knows anything about reloading!

And Cabelas is even worse. They were supposed to pull some experienced help in when they had their grand opening here awhile back but it seems to have disappeared. I have only been in that store 4 times and ALL 4 TIMES I have had to help a fellow customer with something because the employees knew nothing about it!

Long live the mom and pop stores with the local hometown appeal. They beat the big chain stores in customer satisfaction probably 10 to 1. And if they do sell you a stinker, you know where to find the guy who sold it to you and he will make it better or lose his reputation. The big stores rarely keep the same employees longer than a few months so you can't find the guy who skrewed you.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.