Experience with Hornady SST on deer?

I have shot many Deer with the SST but I am no expert you will have many people who have diferent opinions, I have shot a few Deer with the SST it is accurate and it will do a lot of damage, I used a 160 on a Hog in Alabama back about 5 years ago I thought I lost it but it had gone about 50 yards. with Deer its been good they go down if you get a good lung shot, or a heart shot. I don't plan to change. but the NOSLER interbond was what I used as A kid and it also worked great.

I have used Gamekings and they worked great in my 7 MAG, in my .3006 I used the SSTs and found if I turn down the speed they did a lot of damage to the lungs in both 7MAG and .3006.
I like the accuracy and how they kill. they always turn the lungs into a pool of jello.
If you load to shoot over 3000 ftps they just blow out a hole the size of a quarter.

OK guys,

Just got back from Africa and took almost every animal (15 critters in all) using my 264 win mag. The first day we (me and my son) took two warthogs and both dropped in their tracks using the 140 gr. SST. That evening, I took a gemsbok at 200 yards with the same load and shot him square in the shoulder and he dropped in his tracks also. But there is a hitch to this. Although the animal dropped, he was not dead and I had to finish him off. After we skinned him out I found the SST. The core had completely separated from the jacket. From there on out I switched to my Barnes 120 gr. TTSX. Below is a pic of the recovered SST.
For the duration og the hunt we only used the SST for small stuff like warthogs, jackles, etc.

sstk.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the good hunt. We went hunting for Gemsbok last year and shot mine also with a 264 Win Mag. Used 140 GR Rhino bullets. Bullet stopped on opposite shoulder and retained 93%. They can be quite tough to take down with poor shot placement.

DSC04462.jpg

You may hear nay sayers out there but I have used them in my .3006, 7MM MAG, and my brother useses them in his .260..Not one Deer has walked away. I used them when I went hunting hogs at a friends farm in Arkansas Not one Deer walked away, or any Hog.
The shot on my Hog was just over 300 yards with a 7Mag, they are deadly at any range, the lungs turned to a clot like jello. I use 150grs in my .3006 and in my Mag.
Love them! They gave me the best accuracy at 100 yards some rifles will shoot better.

You may hear nay sayers out there but I have used them in my .3006, 7MM MAG, and my brother useses them in his .260..Not one Deer has walked away. I used them when I went hunting hogs at a friends farm in Arkansas Not one Deer walked away, or any Hog.
The shot on my Hog was just over 300 yards with a 7Mag, they are deadly at any range, the lungs turned to a clot like jello. I use 150grs in my .3006 and in my Mag.
Love them! They gave me the best accuracy at 100 yards some rifles will shoot better.

I agree, accuracy was the best I've attained so far. I will continue to use them on anything up to deer sized game.

The bullets do perform well in terms of accuracy but there is some meat damage especially if you hit large bones. We hunt a lot of warthogs and bush pigs in SA and the bullets have served me very well.

Shooting 120 grain in a 6.8 SPC at ~2750 fps. I've killed 2 deer with them, one at 30 yards, one at 275. Both had ~1.25" entrance and exit wounds through the ribs. Both deer dropped immediately and did not get back up.

The SST has worked well for me on whitetails. There were a few pieces of jacket recovered from both animals. It's not a bonded bullet, basically most of the nose is going to disappear forward of the interlock ring on the inside.

A fair comparison bullet would be the Sierra Pro Hunter, or the Nosler Partition.

I spoke with Hornady about pushing these to extreme speeds with a 300 RUM, they stated that I should stay below 3400 FPS with the SST.

I'm thinking of using them out of my Ruger M77 compact in 7.62x39 this year for deer. Shot are usually less than 100 yards where I hunt. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Bill

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.