So whats wrong with the .243 on Deer?

I agree with this completely. I have seen it happen quite a few times with a 30-06 using 180 grain bullets where they deflected a lot when hitting small branches. My .243 shooting .85 gr Sierra HPBT Game Kings would explode when hitting small branches. My advise with light or heavy bullets try not to hit ANYTHING before the bullet gets to your deer etc.

joseph

Joseph I kind of agree...obviously you should avoid hitting anything BUT...I have shot through 4 bushes at different times and I got my deer EVERYONE of those times. the deer was literally just behind the brush...maybe 3 feet. two of the bushes we could see where the bullet hit small branches.we were unable to collect the bullets but judging by the holes they were in decent shape. actually one hole looked a bit "keyholed" so obviously the bullet deflected but not enough to wound or miss where I was aiming. I WILL be shooting through brush in similar situations in the future but that it just me I guess. Again, these were all shots under 200 yards so I cannot account for longer ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.