Experience with 162gr Amax & 168gr VLD in 7mm 1-8" twist barrel??

fordnutter

Hi Guys,
Anyone have experience with the 162gr Amax or 168gr VLD in a 7mm 1-8" twist barrel. Im in the middle of building a 284 Shehane & opted for a 1-8" twist barrel in the hope the increased rpm will help with bullet expansion in the 180gr projectiles. I'm hoping that I haven't now caused myself a problem with the lighter projectile weights as I found two internet posts where the Amax's were exploding down range on route to target. Anybody have actual experience with this. As I have a limited barrel life span I don't want to start load development only to find I have just lost some barrel life unecessarily. Thinking that if the Amax was prone to exploding in a 1-8" twist that maybe a 168gr Berger VLD might be the answer. I'm looking at the lighter bullet weights soley for varmint purposes at long range. Just wanting to avoid the possibility of riccohets as I don't want to run the risk of wounding any stock should that occur.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.