Elk in Utah

markopolo50

Heading out to Utah, Three Corners unit for bull elk this Otober. Anybody hunted there in the past? Going with a good friend who lives near Vernal, and planning to horseback in a day or two early for some serious scouting. We plan on getting far off the roads. Any advise or places to stay away from?

Thanks

Thanks, 15 years for me to get this tag. Since I started applying I was able to get a couple nice ones in New Mexico and now am after a bigger one. We will see how it goes. I have high hopes this year.

Thanks

My season starts October 1. It is for North Slope, Three Corners, any weapon. I have a buddy that lives near Vernal and we are going in the first few day but he has a commitment later. I will probably be on my own if I don't score within the first few days. I am looking for some topo maps and have been pouring over Google maps. Looks like a few roads through the area. Any advise would be appreciated

Mark

I had a deer tag in the three corners area last year. Saw lots of elk and some really nice bulls. Send me a PM with any questions you have. We hunted Oct. 20-28th I believe.

photo.PNG

elk.PNG

Great pictures, I assume this is when you were deer hunting and didn't have an elk tag? That is a really nice elk. I will send a PM, thanks
Mark

Yes you are correct. We only had general deer tags and no elk tag. I have some video of this bull I will try and load up.

Great pictures, I assume this is when you were deer hunting and didn't have an elk tag? That is a really nice elk. I will send a PM, thanks
Mark

Those are screenshots that I took while the video I shot was playing on my phone. I didn't have any actual pics so had to improvise. I think he was well over 1000 yds at that point.

I'm pretty familiar with the Wyoming side of the line there. It seems I always hear of the bigger elk being found to the east of Flaming Gorge Reservoir. :)

We've been putting in for the elk area on the Wyoming-Colorado border, just east of Utah, for the past few years. No luck yet but every year somebody gets a couple big ones of the desert out there. I'm sure the same holds true for the Utah side.

Good Luck!!

I'm pretty familiar with the Wyoming side of the line there. It seems I always hear of the bigger elk being found to the east of Flaming Gorge Reservoir. :)

We've been putting in for the elk area on the Wyoming-Colorado border, just east of Utah, for the past few years. No luck yet but every year somebody gets a couple big ones of the desert out there. I'm sure the same holds true for the Utah side.

Good Luck!!

Know the area pretty good. I used to live in WY and hunted Pine Mt and Little MT a lot. Now I get to hunt the UT side which sucks for deer, but is pretty good for elk. I looked into putting in on the Colorado side, but looks like it takes 20+ points to draw that area. I have max non res points for WY and will hopefully draw a Pine or Little MT tag soon.

Know the area pretty good. I used to live in WY and hunted Pine Mt and Little MT a lot. Now I get to hunt the UT side which sucks for deer, but is pretty good for elk. I looked into putting in on the Colorado side, but looks like it takes 20+ points to draw that area. I have max non res points for WY and will hopefully draw a Pine or Little MT tag soon.

We put in for Little Mtn and Aspen Mtn for a few years. My sister got a couple cow tags but that was it. Now we're turned-on to the Kinney Rim area (next area to the east), no luck as of yet. Couple of my dad's work buddies got some way nice bulls out there the last few years :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.