first elk hunt in utah

my82cam

Guys, I am going on my first elk hunt in utah.. Hunting the north slope. I am going with another member on here who is swapping a hunt with me. I don't want to bug him to death with all my questions, and I like to get others advise as well. Will be hunting after the rut. I am not sure the elk habits and routines(I have only whitetail hunted in Tn and IN) what is the best way to hunt these buggers in the brush? Have heard that after the rut they do not always respond to calls, and you can't quite sneak up on them. Any advise or ideas would be great lol

Do as much reading and research as you can. One good resource is www.elkcamp.com. The guy who runs that site has 3 books out that you can buy from his website and download on your computer. They are great reads for any elk hunter, from beginner to experienced. That should be a good start. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

We spend a lot of time glassing and observing. It can be a bit boring so I do it alone or with my outfitter buddy. Most hunters run and gun. We sit, watch, plan, and tag. Might work for you too.

I have never had the chance to glass all day while hunting. It sounds nice and relaxing to sit there and look for elk or other wildlife, I'm sure if you don't see anything for several days it may get boring. lol I have heard from other older gentleman that the older and slower they get, the more elk tags they fill. I'm very excited to go, I figure at the worst I will have a great time, and If I shoot something that is just a bonus.

LOL, I think you called me old and slow! : )

Well, there is more to it I suppose. I mean, you kinda gotta look in the right spot. I like to glass morning and evenings, afternoons are fine too but less active.

Some things to think about. Morning and evening I like to glass feeding areas and travel corridors. Afternoons I glass bedding areas. That one is tough as the elk tend to lay in cover on north slopes. I might hike to several spots on the mountain to glass the areas I may want to hunt the following day. Glassing like this very well mean you are not hunting that spot that day. It might be too far and you may have to hunt that animal the next day. However, undisturbed elk tend to stick to the area and you have a great chance of tagging, it just takes time. If you are in area that has fresh sign be mindful of the wind. It flows down in the early morning and switches around 0900 to up the mountain. I have watched plenty of hunters get to a saddle at first light that is used daily. They get there and let all that stink go right to the elk. Cracks me up.

Some of the best outfitters and guides I work with are in the best shape. They prepare for the, "Well, it's time to go!", momements and your plan is in put in high gear.

My82cam, What area of the north slope uintas are you going to hunt? It is a good area some nice bulls are taken there every year, however hunter pressure can make it tough. Generally calling is not going to be effective however it still is possible in the general season utah elk hunt. Over calling with the other hunters is the real problem the elk tend to get very call shy. BrentMs advise is definitely the way to go make sure you have a good pair of binos, get to were you can see well and be patient.

If its by flaming gorge you will have plenty of company, but that will happen anywhere in general season..Its a pretty tough hunt your going on, I hope your guy knows his stuff about the area. I'm sure he does since he did a hunt swap with you, and guys in the know in that area consistently kill decent bulls.

Dress in layers, plan on snow they are already getting it higher up. Your hunting is going to consist of glassing spot/stalk and/or covering escape routs. If your guy knows the area good you will be doing some still hunting as well. Dont plan on hearing any bugles, cept from other hunters..While it is always possible normally as soon as the bulls figure out its rifle season again they will clam right up. If you are hiking way into the high uinta's you will probly hear some elk talking, they dont get near as much pressure in the wilderness area's.

Good luck, have fun.

Yeah, it is flaming gorge area. My friend is out hunting muleys and he said the snows coming down hard. I'm excited to go, I know it is going to be a hard hunt but I'm ready. Hopefully the weather will be bad enough so the other guys stay home! Anytime you hunt on public land, I'm sure you run into other people, but for now it is the only place I know I can go. Thanks for the pointers an advise.

M82cam how did your hunt go? I was up there most of the hunt around both forks of the blacks fork... It was a tough hunt this year we were into elk the first weekend but after that we never could get back onto them again. All the fresh tracks we found were heading down hill and north to Wyoming. We only seen two dead elk around the camps, so I was thinking that it was not just us having a tough time...

I had an amazing time! Yes, the area is very tough, but I would do it again! I never got to fill my bull tag, nor did I see any. my friend shot a mature bull opening day, right at sunset. trailed that thing 3/4 of the next day, never able to find him. I only saw 3 bulls taken, 1 spike, 1 raggedy 5x5 and a very respectable 5x5. both 5x5s were taken off of the same mountain and were running together, 2 guys hunting together took them at the same time. no one in my camp shot any bulls, 1 cow but that was it. The snow sure was rough, fell a couple times on ice and broke in my new custom rifle and huskemaw scope, they held zero though. lol I look forward to going back and hunting again. May try another area though, or put in for the special draws and just do my share of waiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.