Elevation problems!

Hi everyone! Was wondering if anyone has had issues with elevation while shooting in normal conditions? I am shooting a browning 7mm A Bolt with a straight 6x Leupold fx3 gold ring scope that has a 1/8 minute target dot and 1/8 minute adjustments. So here's what happened, while hunting antelope in eastern Montana taking easy shots at 200, 250, 500, 550, and 600 yards which I am experiencing in all. I shot just over the backs of the 200 and 250 antelope, then the 5-600 yard shots were at minimum of 5 feet under while compensating with each shot. I am at a loss and going home meatless due to an issue I've never experienced.

You need to give us more info. Were you dialing your dopes, or holding over? What distance is the optic zeroed at?
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/fx-3-6x42mm
Is this the scope ^^ you were using? It sure does not look like a scope conducive to dialing dopes in the field. Maybe we can help determine where the failure began.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/fx-3-competition-hunter-6x42mm?selectedSku=66825

This is the scope I am using ^^. The rifle is zeroed at 200 yards and I was holding over, but that is how i have always shot. I have practiced at home with these distances and put them to use in years past. That's why I'm so confused as to why I was throwing lead where it shouldn't be!

Wow, would not be much holdover at 250. My suggestion is to test the scope, or mounts, something does not add up.
If you snap the scope with your finger, does the crosshair dance?

Wow, would not be much holdover at 250. My suggestion is to test the scope, or mounts, something does not add up.

I only raise like a half inch at 250 it's really not noticeable so to be aiming at the heart and take the hair off of his back makes no sense. I'll definitely take a look at it to see if they dance that is a great suggestion!

Verify your mounts, verify all stock bolts to the action torque them to spec.If you have another scope swap them out and shoot for verification out to distance, I have that same scope with a different reticle it is possible for scopes to fail and usually at the worst times.Keep us posted and good luck.

I have been around 3 Leupold scopes when they go "bad", all were reticle disconnects if that makes sense. The windage was off equally or more than the vertical.
The first was impressive, guy was shooting at 1350, went from shooting 3 feet to 150 yard grouping, it was ugly yet comical at the same time.

Holdovers at 550-600.....hmmm.

Did you allow for different atmospheric conditions like temperature, elevation/density altitude, humidity, etc. in your planned drops?

Powder sensitivity to temp swings?
Verify zero upon arrival to hunting location?
Inspection of rifle/crown after transport?

I am with the others however, and placing my bets on a scope issue. Would not be the first Leupold I have seen/heard giving up the ghost at a most inopportune time.

99% of the time, it's a scope mount issue, as others have said. I epoxy bases on and use loctite on scope rings. A little heat loosens it all if you need to remove. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.