Elevation issue with viper hs-t 6-24x50

I took it off and the mount seems to fit the rifle pretty decent. No major gaps, and if I put it on a flat surface the back it taller than the front

The base seems like it might be the issue, if I put it on the table and put pressure on the back it picks the front up.

2 picture, 1 with pressure on the back of the rail and the other with it just sitting there.

Attachments

• IMG_20150602_112900.jpg
    IMG_20150602_112900.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20150602_112903.jpg
    IMG_20150602_112903.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 69
It's supposed to be that way. The back of the Rem 700 receiver is lower than the front. Dimensions vary on Rem 700s. You could have either a receiver or base that's out of spec. Check the base fit on the receiver again - a feeler gauge will tell volumes. Post a good close-up shot of the entire base from the side.

If you install just the front two screws in the base - finger tight, I'm guessing there will be a gap under the base at the rear. If so, you'll need to shim and/or bed the base to fill that gap.

Might have to pick up a feeler gauge, but these are side shots.

Seems like the back is machined flat and the front is machined on angle like it should be.

Attachments

• IMG_20150602_115020.jpg
    IMG_20150602_115020.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20150602_115119.jpg
    IMG_20150602_115119.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 64
I meant a photo with the base installed on the rifle. These photos are a little blurred and the bottom edge of the base needs more light.

Both mounting surfaces should be parallel, but offset vertically. That doesn't look to be the case.

While you're out shopping, pick up a stiff steel 12"-16" ruler - very useful.

Ok, be sure to use mold release on the receiver. You can apply bedding material to both ends of the base in one bedding process. During epoxy set, tighten the front two screws finger tight (install, but do not tighten the rear screws at all).

I bedded it and it turned out alright, but I just wasn't that happy with it. The first time I did it the mount was level like a 0moa, so I bedded it again, and it was just too much bedding material for comfort. So I went ahead and ordered a base from larue tactical which fit perfect with no lifting in the rear, putting the scewws in individually, it never binded up at all. To me a much better way to go. Learned my lesson on cheap moimts though!

Good on ya for sticking with it. That was a lot of trouble shooting.

That's a lesson for all of us. I'm often tempted to buy the cheap part, either to save a few bucks or because the quality part is out of stock.

FYI, I always bed Rem 700 bases - the fit is rarely perfect when checking with a feeler gauge.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.