Electronic Call testing?

WestSoDakThwack

I'm gonna start this post by saying I'm not looking for your personal opinions. We all have them. I have hunted over all of the major ecall brands. They all have things I like about them and they all have things I don't like about them. None of them are perfect and I find that most brands have 1 thing they do very well and many things that are marginal.

But I did get to thinking, has anyone ever seen a published head to head test between callers. I'm talking like in a sound lab, testing actual decibels, distortion, etc etc the nitty gritty stuff. Not just published comparisons from call makers or guys selling them, but real world head to head sound quality and capabilities testing done in a professional, unbiased, and controlled setting. I just think it would be highly interesting. The community as a whole seems to go to great lengths to perform at least somewhat scientific testing on virtually every other aspect of this game but I have not come across anything done on ecalls at least that wasn't highly subjective. Enjoy I'm sure the comment section should be interesting as guys generally can not help but puff out their chest and brag on whatever ecall company they are currently married too. 🤣🤣

Interesting idea. I'll go catch a coyote and throw some callers to see which one makes him boogie. 🤪

But seriously, I have no idea what ground zero measurement would be to compare it too.

O wait. Maybe catch all the varmints instead and see how they respond or laugh at the call.

I did some research years ago. I can't remember any studies done, but I was very impressed with the owner of Wildlife Technologies. He is an audiophile first that just happened to have an idea for wildlife calls. I believe Disney hired him to engineer the speakers for their rides. Afterwards, he began to experiment with wildlife calls. He mentioned the 'white noise' and distortion at higher volumes that were present in other callers that were not audible to humans, but could still be heard by animals. All this was on his website, but that was years ago. Needless to say, I went with one of his calls. Twenty plus years later, it still runs like a champ. Good luck with your search.

The best quality and a user friendly caller dont seem to be synonymous. Wildlife Technologies has the best sounding caller out there but the owner is a jerk and not honest. He was coming out with a remote for night use 8 years ago that I would be able to "upgrade to". FOXPRO's Krakatoa is a close runner up- it's just really awkward to carry without making noise. It seems all the other are compromises of quality/convenience. I tend to opt for convenience and grab a shockwave or x-wave and leave the better sounding but hard to carry (Krakatoa) or can't see the **** remote (wildlife technologies) sitting on the shelf.

I agree with Terry above, there are so many callers available, that on any given day, one might outperform another, or not ! Unless you hunt private property and can control the other hunters from over calling, throwing every call available, its a crap shoot. Plus, population numbers here (S.E. New Mexico) have been so low, it's hard to differentiate between caller performance and lack of yotes in the area....rsbhunter

BeneliHunter is correct. The owner is a scientist first. He is not a retailer and doesn't do well with the public. To that end, he has hired a lady who does most of the customer service work, but their policies can still be a little hard to deal with. That being said, it is still a great call.

BeneliHunter is correct. The owner is a scientist first. He is not a retailer and doesn't do well with the public. To that end, he has hired a lady who does most of the customer service work, but their policies can still be a little hard to deal with. That being said, it is still a great call.
The call is great and if I hunted out west where you hunt daylight it's probably what I would use. But in the east when 99% of the calling is at night- nope.

Have a WT caller, found about 4-5 years ago the wires from the battery bag to the caller had worn and shorted where they enter the caller. Called WT and was told, " yeah, we have seen that". I repaired the wires, and it still works, but if he made a couple changes, he would have probably own 1/2 of the caller market...but I do like his sounds....rsbhunter

I agree with Terry above, there are so many callers available, that on any given day, one might outperform another, or not ! Unless you hunt private property and can control the other hunters from over calling, throwing every call available, its a crap shoot. Plus, population numbers here (S.E. New Mexico) have been so low, it's hard to differentiate between caller performance and lack of yotes in the area....rsbhunter
I don't disagree. I do hunt almost exclusively private property about half of which I have exclusive permission on. I have personal favorite ecalls and such. I just think it would be great to settle some of these disputes. Nearly every discussion on ecalls disolves into a complete cluster f of epic proportions. I also think it would be interesting to compare what sounds good to my ear compared to professional lab equipment.

I don't disagree. I do hunt almost exclusively private property about half of which I have exclusive permission on. I have personal favorite ecalls and such. I just think it would be great to settle some of these disputes. Nearly every discussion on ecalls disolves into a complete cluster f of epic proportions. I also think it would be interesting to compare what sounds good to my ear compared to professional lab equipment.
I know what you mean. There are sounds that I think so horrid but seem to bring the critters in.