Effective Range of 257 Weatherby mag.

Thought I might resurrect this thread, the 100gr TTSX is all I shoot now in my Rem 700 257 WM. 72.0 grs RL22, shoots under an inch always, kills like a sledgehammer. Four deer, between 300 and 400 yds, coyotes out to 525 yds, coons, fox, jackrabbits, you name it. All DRT. Will hopefully try elk next season, sure it will do the trick just fine. Like some of the others, I had mixed success with Barnes years ago, but they definitely nailed it with this bullet.

I just returned from a Montana Mulie trip. Cracked one at 386, steep elevation, quartering towards me. I dialed 425 in the scope due to the angle and put the bullet behind the shoulder. Exit was between the second and last rib on the opposite side. Mulie went approximately ten yards and dropped.

I also use magpro (thanks LTLR) but at 73grains I found an accuracy node I couldnt pass up. At the 300 yard range near my house I am getting under one inch groups at 300 yards. I realize this is not a 1000 yard gun, but for a quarter bore I could not be more pleased. A g1 BC of .357 worked very well in my drop charts.

Erik

I just returned from a Montana Mulie trip. Cracked one at 386, steep elevation, quartering towards me. I dialed 425 in the scope due to the angle and put the bullet behind the shoulder. Exit was between the second and last rib on the opposite side. Mulie went approximately ten yards and dropped.

I also use magpro (thanks LTLR) but at 73grains I found an accuracy node I couldnt pass up. At the 300 yard range near my house I am getting under one inch groups at 300 yards. I realize this is not a 1000 yard gun, but for a quarter bore I could not be more pleased. A g1 BC of .357 worked very well in my drop charts.

Erik

You had never said what bullet you are using but with a BC of .357 I am assuming it is a Barnes TTSX 100 grain bullet.

Is that correct?

Thanks

. Cracked one at 386, steep elevation, quartering towards me. I dialed 425 in the scope due to the angle and put the bullet behind the shoulder. Erik

Just a quick question here. So the deer was at 386 yards? Lasered?? and you dialed for 425 yards due to you were shooting up or down at a steep angle?

Thanks
Jeff

Broz,
Just to clarify. The animal was spotted and ranged by the guide at 386 prior to my shot. By the time I got prone and set, the animal had crested the top of the mountain and had all but skylined himself. I knew he had to be closer to 400 by the time I settled the crosshairs, not to mention I was shooting steep uphill. I didn't want to shoot under the animal so I dialed for 425.

I am still learning the long range game and am by no means an expert. I dialed what I thought to be correct and apparently did pretty well this time. I learn a lot from reading posts on this forum and appreciate all the help I have been given. Thanks again.

Erik

Broz,
Just to clarify. The animal was spotted and ranged by the guide at 386 prior to my shot. By the time I got prone and set, the animal had crested the top of the mountain and had all but skylined himself. I knew he had to be closer to 400 by the time I settled the crosshairs, not to mention I was shooting steep uphill. I didn't want to shoot under the animal so I dialed for 425.

I am still learning the long range game and am by no means an expert. I dialed what I thought to be correct and apparently did pretty well this time. I learn a lot from reading posts on this forum and appreciate all the help I have been given. Thanks again.

Erik

OK, Thanks Erik. But just to clarify any time you are shooting at a angle up or down the amount you dial is decreased, not increased. For example at my altitude with my rifle a 400 yard shot on the flat I would dial 4.6 moa up. If it was on a steep angle like 25 degrees I would only dial 3.9 moa. The distance of 400 yards this correction amount of .7 moa is only a difference of about 3" , but as you go out farther it will multiply and could get you into trouble. Just wanted to offer this for your future hunts.

Jeff

Four of us built five custom 257s. We talked to Dave at PT&G to finalize the reamer design. It was setup for a shorter jump than standard 257s. We are seating .070" to .100" jump to rifling. Throat angle 1 degree 30 min. Our intention was to shoot the 115 VLD. All of us used the 3 groove SS lilja.

Three barrels are #3s two #5 fluted. Lengths vary from 24" on my friend's super light Rem 700 under 7 lbs all up to the #5s at 28" which weigh around 9 1/2 lbs. We use norma brass, fed 215s and RL-25. The fastest longer barrels also use moly for stunning velocities of 3650 fps. It would appear the combo of moly, three groove and the 115 VLD with minimal bearing surface allows these bullets to scream.

Here is the count which is not up to date. Haven't heard from Allen or Tim this year.

Dan's lightweight has killed :
don't know the distances exept one.

4 mule deer
6 elk one was over 400 yds.
--------
My 28":
Don used it to take 2 coues wt at 250 yds and 350 yds
My coues:
525 yd
400 yd
antelope at 560 yds

Walt used it to take two coues wt:
400 yd
385 yd

-------
Tim:
5 coues unknown distances except last year's at 237 yds
--------
Allen:
5 coues wt
I know four of the distances 419yds,412yds,328yds and 276yds
------------
NONE of the bullets blew up. My 525 yd shot on a quartering away coues went in behind the shoulder and exited after going through the "elbow" of the offside shoulder, leaving a 1 1/2" exit.

All the killls I saw shot had exits. Didn't see anyone else's kills.

----------------

At round count 600 or so my 28" 3 groove began to tear up the 115 VLDs. Had to switch to moly coated 110 accubonds. Currently running 84 gr of RL-33 for vel of 3704.

As you can imagine we are thrilled with the performance of the 257.

Those sound like some bad *** guns you should post some pics, why did you switch form vld to accubounds

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.