Eddybos Oryx rifle pretty much ready to ship....

I havent crashed it yet and still have all my fingers:) I havent been able to make a nut thread onto my threads yet but the at least look like threads. 16TPI of course:)

Hey if you still are off work in a few days come up and help me shoot the new gun. I may need some help welding the chains back on my gong:)

Edge,

Its a custom contour I have Lilja and Krieger make specifically for these rifles. It has a 1.350" shank diameter and then has a radiused contour and then straight taper down to roughly 0.940" at 34" finish length.

Eddybo,

If you will be slappin steel with this big girl, better make sure its AR500 plate and also if your going to do inside 700 yards, make sure you have some serious chains and fasterners(WELDED) of your big 338 will make short work of her.

YOu simply have to be there to believe how hard this big 338 will hammer that steel and at anything less then 1000 yards, it will get there so fast its hard to believe until you pull that trigger a few times.

You will have some serious fun with this rig!!!

I cant wait to see it slap a big chunk out of my gong. I have access to more pieces of steel and dont mind welding them up. So far the 270AM with 169s is the only rifle that has made any type of mark on my steel. It is a two inch thick blind flange made out of hastaloy. 270+169 is one bad combination for steel at 800 yards. I can only imagine what the 300smk is going to do to it. I am giggling like a little girl just thinking about it.

Wow, judging by the picture that action must be close to 1.750 then.
No wonder it does not look out of place :)

edge.

Hastaloy is some bad stuff I will intrested in your results. I think I would sell it for scrap and buy some more toys. Steel with that high of nickel content brings a pretty pennie at te right places nearing $4/lb

The 338 AM is an incredible caliber, very nice rifle. I am sure that you will enjoy it very much

Hey Kirby , if you had to compair that Jamison bras to some of the normal stuff we use like Rem , Win , Fed ,Lapau ,Norma and so on where woult it rank for consistancy and case life (at normal pressure)

Holy cow 4 bucks a lb. no kidding. Hmmm this thing has to weigh 120 lbs and I got it for free:) I am still going to shoot it with the 338AM.....then maybe retire it to the scrap yard to buy some bullets:)

Hastaloy is some bad stuff I will intrested in your results. I think I would sell it for scrap and buy some more toys. Steel with that high of nickel content brings a pretty pennie at te right places nearing $4/lb

I hope that it doesnt knock my gong over:) I saw what one of those big bullets out of your new rifle did to yours.

The 338 AM is an incredible caliber, very nice rifle. I am sure that you will enjoy it very much

James Jones,

Good question. Had to sit down and think about that one. Of those you list, its no where near the same class as the 338 Lapua brass, especially concerning strength.

That said, of the brass you list, I would say it compares most closely with Remington brass. Its not quite as hard as Winchester or Fed brass but close.

Consistancy is on par with the Rem hulls as well. As with Remingtion, it serves its rifles very well, if you want more then it offers, some bench time can bring it into even better spec.

Larger cases have larger case weight variances and volume variances. Larger cases also are not effected as much by these changes so it all works out in the end.

It will get me 1/2 moa out to very long ranges and gives me 4-5 firings at upper pressure loads.

I wished it was as strong as Lapua but its not but its good enough to get us shooting these rifles and getting great performance.

If I could just fine a place to shoot somthing like that it would realy justify me getting one , after reading some reviews on the 375x408Chytac with Hooker 35gr bullet with a supposedly tested BC of 1.12 !! I'm thinking that would put a 50BMG in second place.

worry worry , I got 2 new 308's in the works and its had fo me to realy streach their legs.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.