Economical/cheap gear that turned out to work just fine.

DJ Fergus

I know that 99% of the time you get what you pay for. But every once in a while you run across something for a good price that works just fine if not great for you. Would like to hear if you guys have any purchases like that.

Last edited:
I know that 99% of the time you get what you pay for. But every once in a while you run across something for a good price that works just fine if not great for your you. Would like to hear if you guys have any purchases like that.

Gear is ambiguous as well as what value is. But I suppose one can take away what they want from this.

Swfa scopes. <——that's a period at the end of that.
Reehut backpacking stove on amazon.

Vanguard endeavor spotting scopes

to name a few in my opinion.

Regular large recyclable smart water bottle from a convenience store. Two big ol nalgenes on your pack are a good amount of extra weight even if they're empty. Definitely not the cool factor at the trailhead but a flatlands guy like me needs all the help they can get when hitting elevation.

Clearance high end bushnell elite scopes. They're not "cheap" but they're highly competitive with other high end name brand scopes as far as features, warranty, and build quality. I don't know what they're doing wrong in the bushnell marketing dept but their stuff sits on shelves and shops clear them out super cheap when new models come out. I've paid about a quarter of what msrp was on them brand new in the box. When I have had them side by side brand new vortex razors, leupold mk5 or Burris xtrii they meet or exceed their features. I have less into a 1-8.5 smrs, and 2 3.5-21 lrhs than what my buddy just paid for a brand new razor. Vortex just put out a 1-10 razor that's selling for $2k before tax. My bushnell smrs was at my door for $675 a month ago. That seems like a lot of value to me for higher tiered optics.

Powdered potatoes. Super cheap and can improve the soggy mountain house breakfasts or are an awesome stand alone snack. Freeze dried stuff can get spendy but powdered potatoes rarely even cost a dollar.

- Kent Fast Steel for years was a stellar deal in what was in my opinion the best steel shot hands down and they were about the least expensive. Now fast steal 2.0 is not as lethal on ducks but more lethal to my budget. 2.oh no.
- Federal Fusion bullets.
- Suzuki boat motors - ultra reliable, very fuel efficient, great low thru mid range torque and an awesome warranty. May give up 2 to 4 mph on the top end, but Mille Lacs is usually too rough for me to run 45 anyway.
- Cabelas neoprene waders. half the price of Drake twice the quality and again a great warranty.

Lee Collet Neck and Factory Crimp dies. Cheap and absolutely no brand "cachet" but folks who measure runout swear by it compared to other dies that cost 4-6x as much.

Great thread topic by the way—one that I suspect will cause many of us to spend more money and stimulate the economy.

Tasco riflescope, it's a 4x16 that surprisingly tracks very well and the clarity is not that bad when shooting under 400m. It has taken over 1,500 7mm-08 rounds and another 500 to 600 on an AR in 223/5.56. It still works and it only cost $99. Never though it would last that long and the long line of critters it has taken down.

The donor rifle for my project. (Snicker if ya like)...Savage Axis. Including shipping, I paid $180 bucks on the gamble. Gonna be a surprisingly fine shooter when she's done.
There's nothing wrong with the axis. I've rebarreled 2 of them and have a third in the works. The target doesn't lie or laugh about what it got shot with. I've spent a whole lot more and got alot less than the results Ive saw from a rebarreled axis. I've shot two straight up factory axis rifles that would outshoot $1200 factory rifles.

Last edited:
Lee Collet Neck and Factory Crimp dies. Cheap and absolutely no brand "cachet" but folks who measure runout swear by it compared to other dies that cost 4-6x as much.

Great thread topic by the way—one that I suspect will cause many of us to spend more money and stimulate the economy.
I'm fond of the Lee collet dies myself.

- Kent Fast Steel for years was a stellar deal in what was in my opinion the best steel shot hands down and they were about the least expensive. Now fast steal 2.0 is not as lethal on ducks but more lethal to my budget. 2.oh no.
- Federal Fusion bullets.
- Suzuki boat motors - ultra reliable, very fuel efficient, great low thru mid range torque and an awesome warranty. May give up 2 to 4 mph on the top end, but Mille Lacs is usually too rough for me to run 45 anyway.
- Cabelas neoprene waders. half the price of Drake twice the quality and again a great warranty.
Federal fusions have shot great in multiple rifles for me when twist matched grain weight. They are very balanced & concentric because the lead core is formed and the copper jacket is actually electroplated. I do believe their B.C. is exaggerated. Nevertheless they are cheap and shoot great.

I bought a pair of Howard Leight impact sport electronic earmuffs when they first came out several years back, think they were under $40. I used them A LOT and finally broke them about a year ago.

I bought the cabelas boots with the boa when they first came out. Didn't get to wear them before a trip to Africa. So I wore them on the plane.
Best boots I've ever had never got sore feet even with no break in. Most comfortable boot I've ever owed. Then when I decided to buy a few pairs for work and to replace them they of course changed them and they are ok but not like the old ones

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.