EC Tuner and Suppressor on a hunting rifle

billspe

Hi:
Thanks in advance for any advice about using an EC Tuner with a suppressor. I guess I'm open to advice about non-Cortina barrel tuners + suppressor as well. I've read great comments about EC Tuners but haven't seen much about using one specifically with a suppressor. I have exchanged 5 emails with Cortina's web site and get short responses that don't completely answer my questions.

I've got Blaser R8 in .375 H&H. A handloader crafted great hunting ammo for it that groups very well. The unthreaded barrel is worth over $1k and the ammo is worth over $1k, but "nut that I am," I'd like to start hunting with a suppressor. Based on what I've read, a tuner would minimize the risk that my ammo no longer cloverleafs at 100 yards once I thread the barrel and start using a suppressor.

The R8 barrel is 0.7 in diameter. I'm planning to thread it in 5/8-24. My concern is the [adapter+ec tuner v2+adapter+suppressor] combo will be heavy, ungainly and potentially vulnerable in spot and stalk hunting conditions.

Can anyone who has a similar tuner+suppressor setup on a hunting rifle comment?

Perhaps the EC tuner works so well I could cut the 23" barrel down to 20" or even 18" to address 2'of the concerns. Advice on what length and which thread to use on the barrel, what Adapter, and tuner to use are all welcome.

Thank you

According to this you're right on the ragged edge as far as barrel diameter and threading for the .375 bore.
Also, that's A TON of stuff to hang off the end of a barrel. I would think that $1K ammo would certainly be affected by all the induced changes in the "forced vibrations" of the barrel.

Last edited:
Hi:
Thanks in advance for any advice about using an EC Tuner with a suppressor. I guess I'm open to advice about non-Cortina barrel tuners + suppressor as well. I've read great comments about EC Tuners but haven't seen much about using one specifically with a suppressor. I have exchanged 5 emails with Cortina's web site and get short responses that don't completely answer my questions.

I've got Blaser R8 in .375 H&H. A handloader crafted great hunting ammo for it that groups very well. The unthreaded barrel is worth over $1k and the ammo is worth over $1k, but "nut that I am," I'd like to start hunting with a suppressor. Based on what I've read, a tuner would minimize the risk that my ammo no longer cloverleafs at 100 yards once I thread the barrel and start using a suppressor.

The R8 barrel is 0.7 in diameter. I'm planning to thread it in 5/8-24. My concern is the [adapter+ec tuner v2+adapter+suppressor] combo will be heavy, ungainly and potentially vulnerable in spot and stalk hunting conditions.

Can anyone who has a similar tuner+suppressor setup on a hunting rifle comment?

Perhaps the EC tuner works so well I could cut the 23" barrel down to 20" or even 18" to address 2'of the concerns. Advice on what length and which thread to use on the barrel, what Adapter, and tuner to use are all welcome.

Thank you
Not on a Blaser R8 rifle, but I have the EC tuner and 3 suppressors (2 .30 cal and 1 .33 cal) that I can use for multiple rifles without any issues. But I do load for all of them. Any changes to the barrel, i.e., installing a muzzle device (muzzle brake, suppressor, etc.), will change the barrel harmonics and point of impact. As with with anything else, YMMV. Your ammo/current load may or may not be affected by the change, and the EC tuner may or may not tune it. It is a risk you have to take. And yes, a suppressor adds a significant weight to your set-up.

I understand you want to start hunting with tuner brake and suppressor, but is this your only hunting rifle? Good luck!

According to this you're right on the ragged edge as far as barrel diameter and threading for the .375 bore.
Also, that's A TON of stuff to hang off the end of a barrel. I would think that $1K ammo would certainly be affected by all the induced changes in the "forced vibrations" of the barrel.
Thank you @Deputy819 this is very helpful. I have to come up with another plan.

Not on a Blaser R8 rifle, but I have the EC tuner and 3 suppressors (2 .30 cal and 1 .33 cal) that I can use for multiple rifles without any issues. But I do load for all of them. Any changes to the barrel, i.e., installing a muzzle device (muzzle brake, suppressor, etc.), will change the barrel harmonics and point of impact. As with with anything else, YMMV. Your ammo/current load may or may not be affected by the change, and the EC tuner may or may not tune it. It is a risk you have to take. And yes, a suppressor adds a significant weight to your set-up.

I understand you want to start hunting with tuner brake and suppressor, but is this your only hunting rifle? Good luck!
Thank you @FEENIX , very helpful. Its not my only hunting rifle but it is my best hunting rifle so probably not worth risking.