Early Long Range Hunting

G

Thought I'd share this little piece of history with all you Long Range Brethren...Hope You Enjoy It! [image]
OldTimers.jpg
[/image]

The Canyon Gashed Kettle Creek section of Pennsylvania offers unique Long-Range Shooting Possibilites , deer being taken at ranges of from 200 to 700 yards by heavy barreled rifles , target scope-equipped , using cartridges like the 270-4000 , 300 H&H a wildcat thereof , or high-speed 7mm or 25. Binoculars and spotting scope and a cross stick rest or chuck rest are vital necessities. Byron Cottrell at the left has seen some fifty deer brought into his camp within the past ten years.

1953 Gun Digest Magazine

Nice pic 338-378. I have a cabin up in that neck of the woods. Definitely some beautifully rugged country. Are you from around that area?

jax,
yes I am from around that area..That's some of our stomping grounds.
Dave,
As far as I know there were guys hunting LR in the late 30's and early 40's. It all started in the Pine Creek Valley then Expanded from there..These are most likely late first or early second generation Long Range hunters in the photo,which I believe have all passed on...This is could possibly be the oldest known photo of LRH.

Very interesting!!! It would be kinda neat to have some pics of their cartridges and bullets. They didn't have near the selection we do now!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.