Early Long Range Hunting

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Thought I'd share this little piece of history with all you Long Range Brethren...Hope You Enjoy It! [image][​IMG][/image]

The Canyon Gashed Kettle Creek section of Pennsylvania offers unique Long-Range Shooting Possibilites , deer being taken at ranges of from 200 to 700 yards by heavy barreled rifles , target scope-equipped , using cartridges like the 270-4000 , 300 H&H a wildcat thereof , or high-speed 7mm or 25. Binoculars and spotting scope and a cross stick rest or chuck rest are vital necessities. Byron Cottrell at the left has seen some fifty deer brought into his camp within the past ten years.

1953 Gun Digest Magazine

2. jax338

jax338 Active Member

Nice pic 338-378. I have a cabin up in that neck of the woods. Definitely some beautifully rugged country. Are you from around that area?

3. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

Butch, great pic. i didn't think they were doing long range quite that long ago.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

jax,
    yes I am from around that area..That's some of our stomping grounds.
    Dave,
    As far as I know there were guys hunting LR in the late 30's and early 40's. It all started in the Pine Creek Valley then Expanded from there..These are most likely late first or early second generation Long Range hunters in the photo,which I believe have all passed on...This is could possibly be the oldest known photo of LRH.

5. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Very interesting!!! It would be kinda neat to have some pics of their cartridges and bullets. They didn't have near the selection we do now!!!

6. FRANK21

FRANK21 Well-Known Member

Interesting...

7. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

are we sure that second one in from the left isn't good ole Mr Cassell?