Duracoat on knives (and other slow moving items)

Dave King

I had a couple of knives that were too shiney to use and I had a little Duracoat left so I gave it a try.

Here's a SOG SCUBA/DEMO I painted, the other is a Badger Ordnance Limited edition I bought (I didn't booger with that one!!).

SOG-SCUBA-DEMO-and-Badger-28.JPG

Here's what it originally looked like.

scuba_demo.jpg

Here's a Cold Steel Bowie... It was black for a while, then polished steel and now OD Green.

ColdSteel-Bowie.JPG

This Duracoat is easy stuff to use. I painted two H-S Precision stock yesterday, found some carabiners that were shiney and they're OD now, my pocket knife had an OD blade and I was thinking about trying it on my Colt AR's. (My wife hides her stuff when I get the paint out now... How about OD or SOCOM grey cutlery, I could do each persons service set in a different color!)

I'll give it a try but first I want to get the rifles together and see how the two images mught compare... I used SOCOM black/gray on the stocks. The one stock has been painted so many times that the texture is gone, it was formerly an Illinois State Police sniper rifle and had about 3 million coats of paint on it when I got it... I used Acetone to take the paint off the rifle and stock but found that nearly all the stock texture was gone too apparently from some of the Illinois painting jobs before my time.

That is nice. The question will be the permanancy of the finish. It would be interesting to see what one of those blades looks like after a season of hunting.

I'm pretty curious too. It didn't want to come off to easily when re-sharpening but that's not a good test.

If I remember I'll post the wear after a few test critters.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Here's a picture of my rifle, the one with the non-texture H-S stock. I'll put non-skid deck tape on a few spots in about a week or so but here is is bare.

These are pictures of the same stock with SOCOM DuraCoat, the appearance difference is just different temperature light (indoor vs outdoor)

rearleftstock1.JPG

frontleftstock1.JPG

bottomstock.JPG

rearleftrifle1.JPG

Hi-Res of left rear side of rifle

frontleftrifle1.JPG

wholerifle.JPG

Here's my helper for these photos, Heinous dog.

heinous-16july2006-58lbs.jpg

Dave,

The stock looks good. I'm curious about the crown cover. I haven't seen one like it before. Is that something you purchased, or one of your creations?

Thanks,
Chris

It's one of my "creations". That rifle is from Clay Spencer and has an indicated (I believe that's the correct term) crown. It's not something I care to bang around right on the end there but I've taken to covering all my rifles in such a manner nowadays. It's a cane/chair leg tip type thing, hard type rubber with a hole installed by me and a piece of elastic cord attaching it to the bipod. It's larger than the barrel and concave on the very end so there's room for air circulation and nothing to ride against the muzzle/crown. The best part it that if I should forget to remove it before a shot it's cheap, soft and works just as well with a hole in the middle.

Dave,

I notice more than a few innovative ideas incorporated into that shooting system.

You're building confidence in folks regarding Duracoat. That's a good thing....

I took particular note of the 'index' mark on the scope power ring. I've done a similar thing on a variable power scope but obsess over index setting errors introduced as distance increases and index setting errors. I haven't obsessed enough to run the numbers yet but I'm getting close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Would you care to offer a bit of a discourse on the subject from your experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe in its own thread.....

That is nice. The question will be the permanancy of the finish. It would be interesting to see what one of those blades looks like after a season of hunting.

Duracoat wont come off once applied, it will not adhere to rubber though. I use it every day and its just fantastic to work with.

Hope you dont mind but heres a couple of pics.

6547USOpticjpg.jpg

SSG.jpg

This system is just so durable its hard to believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts