DUMB Question... really dumb magnificcation question.. but PLEASE HELP

superlite17

I have wondered this for years but never had courage to ask. Is magnification affected by objective lens size

For example:
4-14X40
4-14X56

Would the 56 have greater magnification because in essenc you are multiplying internal magnification by Objective lens size. Is that correct thinking?

Thanks - Rod

As far as I understand it, the objective only affects how much field of view or light can pass thru?????

And the pupil has alot to do with the light also????

Since you started the stupid question I will add some on there for the real smart people correct.

Joe Oakes

Re: DUMB Question... really dumb magnificcation question.. but PLEASE

[ QUOTE ]
I have wondered this for years but never had courage to ask. Is magnification affected by objective lens size

For example:
4-14X40
4-14X56

Would the 56 have greater magnification because in essenc you are multiplying internal magnification by Objective lens size. Is that correct thinking?

Thanks - Rod

[/ QUOTE ]

Objective size does not effect magnification, and it does not effect field of view.

Field of view is determined by eyepiece diameter, and eye relief... longer eye relief, less fov.

Well thank you. I have pondered this for a long time and came up that all three lenses compounded the magnification. With a larger objective it seemed like that would further compound it.

The thing that got me asking is that one of my local gun dealers has started carrying meopta scopes. I looked through a couple and they seemed crystal clear.... but, near as i can tell they do not carry ANY higher magnification scopes. In 50mm the highest is 3-9, but they have 3-9X56 and i wondered if that would increase magnification.
I will most likely get criticized for this, but i just do not like 3-9, i cannot get close enough with it. I do not even like it for deer hunting. However I must be the minority as you get all these bigtime big game hunters saying all the time "... all ya need is a good 3-9X40, the rest is just a waste, blah, blah
Anyway, it is surprising that they do not produce ANY of what i like for long range hunting.

Thanks - Rod

[ QUOTE ]
i just do not like 3-9, <font color="blue">Neither do I even though I used one on a 270 Win for 30 years and made some decently long range shots </font>

Anyway, it is surprising that they do not produce ANY of what i like for long range hunting. <font color="blue">Who are "they"? Someone must make something that "you" like? For out west LRH I've settled on a 16X SuperSniper. If I go back to PA and hunt with family I'm going to use a 3X9 and carry it on 4X </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that the 56mm Meopta is actually 3X10X56 Meaopta makes a 4X16X44 with a plex of mill Dot reticle with turrets that is a good long range scope........
thumb.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.