Drone for dropping balloon targets

Definitely interested in what drone to buy. I've seen some release mechanisms that just strap around the drone body. I was looking at the swellpro 4 just because in western Washington you have to expect rain on the weekends or you wouldn't ever get anything done. But I've seen some bad reviews and really nervous about dropping that much. I should say the 3200 is for everything- extra batteries etc

Definitely interested in what drone to buy. I've seen some release mechanisms that just strap around the drone body. I was looking at the swellpro 4 just because in western Washington you have to expect rain on the weekends or you wouldn't ever get anything done. But I've seen some bad reviews and really nervous about dropping that much. I should say the 3200 is for everything- extra batteries etc
I think that is still way too much for what you are wanting to do.

This is the exact kit I have. I like EVO because the camera is replaceable (can go full thermal if you have the $$). Drones are like Ford vs Chevy unless you start spending stupid money. Not waterproof but I don't fly in the rain. EVO has some cool addons made by aftermarket companies.

Well I can guarantee you 100% that you know waay more than I do about drones lol. It actually looks like the base price is pretty similar to the swellpro 4. It looks like I'd have to purchase an aftermarket release of some sort. Man, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at the swellpro 4 and maybe watch one of the videos of them surf fishing with it and give me your opinion, that would be awesome. The few things I like about it are the payload and the water resistance. It appears as though you have to purchase the extended range antenna. Definitely appreciate the input and the one you have looks like a good candidate for sure

Well I can guarantee you 100% that you know waay more than I do about drones lol. It actually looks like the base price is pretty similar to the swellpro 4. It looks like I'd have to purchase an aftermarket release of some sort. Man, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at the swellpro 4 and maybe watch one of the videos of them surf fishing with it and give me your opinion, that would be awesome. The few things I like about it are the payload and the water resistance. It appears as though you have to purchase the extended range antenna. Definitely appreciate the input and the one you have looks like a good candidate for sure
I will take a look at it this weekend.

One thing for you to look at is how much repair service for the drone you want will cost. I can tell you from experience it is not IF you will crash your drone, it is WHEN. Lots of companies offer a "care service" which helps reduce the cost of repairs. It seems strange but you will be happy you have the coverage.

I've been checking them out. It's definitely going to be better having you check it out than me to see through the bs. It looks like a guy can order parts for the swellpro in the event of catastrophic failure. If I get one I have some places to practice before I try the actual place I'm thinking about because if something goes wrong it's going to be a nightmare getting to the target area. I ranged it at 1090 but it's across a canyon that's been clearcut on both sides and a cows face ( steeeep!) on the other side with some rock faces showing. Clearcuts around here are pretty tough to get through after a few years.

Been thinking about buying a drone to fly balloons out to shoot at longer distances 600-1500. Really hard to find places to shoot long range around here and hiking targets out across some of the canyons is usually a project. Been looking at the swellpro 4. Anybody else try this?

Last edited:
Make it interesting - put a little water in the balloon, blow it up with regular air so it hangs below the drone. Have the drone hover at your selected range and shoot the balloon without hitting the drone. See how close you can hang the balloon to the drone.

Been thinking about buying a drone to fly balloons out to shoot at longer distances 600-1500. Really hard to find places to shoot long range around here and hiking targets out across some of the canyons is usually a project. Been looking at the swellpro 4. Anybody else try this?
PM me, I have a like new autel robotics premiun drone you will be happy with at $300

I'd be afraid of the balloons just popping if I weighted them and let them hit the ground. Especially in the clearcuts where there definitely going to be some prickly growth. That's another reason why I was thinking about the modified tomato cage and either have a balloon inside or some thin swinging targets. Hopefully just a balloon tied to a rock works but if it don't, the extra payload might help with a cage