Dramatic bullet performance

gpo1956

I killed my first deer with the 6.5 PRC yesterday and I'm very impressed. The bullet was the 142 gr ABLR loaded to approximately 2900 fps. It was a non-typical 9 pt with a 5" drop tine weighting about 150 lbs. The shot was 170 yards. He drew up on impact and ran hard about 30 yards into the wood line. I knew I hit him right at the crease and that he wouldn't go far. I went to the spot where I thought I hit him and found a large spray of bright red blood. I happened to look a few feet in the direction he came from and noticed another large spray. Ok, this must be where he was. Then I looked about 5 feet further and found a huge spray of blood and two pieces of meat. The blood trail was the heaviest I've ever followed. I found him about 15 yards in the woods. Surprisingly the exit hole was just about twice the size of the entrance. Very little blood on the deer itself, but the insides were total mush. I would have thought with that much violent blood splash and trail that the meat loss would have been dramatic, but the bullet couldn't have performed better.

Attachments

• 9416CD92-E9A5-4720-BE88-9666D1EB42C9.jpeg
    9416CD92-E9A5-4720-BE88-9666D1EB42C9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
Very nice! I am running the 142 ABLR in the low 2900's in a newly built .256 Newton. Actually it still isn't 100% built as the stock is not yet finished, but I'm taking it to the range and doing load development anyway!
It's good to see a nice performance report.

Nice buck!
Rex

Good to hear a positive report on this particular bullet. I've kicked around the idea of loading some up for a couple of my rifles as the tested accuracy was fantastic. I'm glad to hear that they worked well for you - especially at that distance. I've heard mixed reviews about their "close range" performance, so I've always been a little skittish. I'll probably try them now.

By the way, great buck!

Nice buck. I've been using that 142g bullet in a few 264WM's and a 6.5x47 Lapua for quite some time. They perform excellently for me.
Also used the 150g ABLR in a 270 Weatherby and a straight 270Win,168g ABLR in my 7STW and the 210g ABLR in a few 300WM's, all have performed excellent. Next will be the 210g ABLR in my 300RUM when the dies show up.
Also used the 265g ABLR in a couple of 338WM's and my custom 338-416 Rigby Improved. All have been great shooters and impressive terminal performance.

Cheers.