Downloading 300RUM

Topaz454

Any comment on down loading my 300RUM to 30 06 or even 308 ballistics? Seems like a good idea but I might have to cross a couple of reloading bridges?

I wouldn't go lower than what load data from the manufacturers suggest. Looking at Hodgdon and Nosler's websites you are not going to be able to get any bullet slow enough to match even the hottest load in a 30-06.

I have some old Speer books that used to list mild loads with a powder that is no longer produced. Perhaps you can call Hodgdon or Nosler and ask if it is possible.

When Remington introduced the 300 RUM back in '99, it was presented with three power loads. Level 1 was 30 06. Level 2 was 300WM. Level 3 was 300 RUM. L3 was hotter than 300 Wby. So I am looking for the 06 load.

How about this? Haven't checked yet to see how full that will be in case.

BULLET WEIGHT 165 GR. SFT SP,
Powder IMR 4831
C.O.L.3.530"
Starting Load - 80.0g Velocity (ft/s) 2,951 ?
Pressure 51,100 PSI

Maximum Load- 87.0g Velocity (ft/s) 3,215 ?
Pressure 62,900 PSI

In the "old days" ... now I'm dating myself... fillers were used to keep powder against primer flash to better control inconsistency. Cream of wheat? Kapoc- don't have any of that anymore. Any input on this?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.