Double Rifle Case for Air Travel

tydaws

I'm wondering what you guys use and recommend for a hard rifle case for international air travel that will accommodate two bolt rifles.

The Pelican Protector series seems to have set the bar (1720,1750,etc.), but I'm not seeing that they offer a model that will handle two bolt rifles. The Pelican Vault V800 looks like a nice unit, but it is less expensive than the Protector series, so I'd assume not as robust.

The folks on this forum know what we spend on our rifles, so I truly want the best protection available. If I have to take two separate cases, I will. However, I'd rather travel with a single double case.

Thanks!

Depending on the rifles you can get two in a 1750. Just cut up a cardboard box to the size of the interior dimensions with the rifles you want to pack and see how they fit in that space. Personally I like the Air 1755 more than the 1750. It's over 4" longer, a little wider, and almost 3" deeper while weighing a pound less. It's deep enough to pack two rifles inside of individual soft cases with the thin layers of foam plus room for extra gear like tripod and ammo. It's more expensive but worth the investment.

Pelican's are very nice, their Vaults are incredible, but i saved a few bucks with my 52" Plano.....its not quite on par with the Vault, but for the features it has it comes in a very nice 2nd for me.....very sturdy, locks up nicely, nice rollable wheels & has a pressure relief valve. I think i paid $149.00 at Sportsman's Warehouse, might be able to get a deal on amazon or other online sites??
My 300WM Bergara is pretty large with scope, but depending on the size & configuration of your rifles, it seems doable.

1711638635255.png

IMG_5841.JPG

I've got an SKB double rifle box that I like. The box is not as wide as other boxes because the rifles lie on the top & bottom with a divider in between. The box is secure and works well for one rifle or two. If you pack one rifle, place it in the bottom and put your optics and gear in the top.

Thank you guys. This is the type of feedback that I was hoping for.

Just another thought - unless you intend to fly regularly, don't waste your money on an expensive case. Virtually everyone I know has an expensive gun case buried in the closet somewhere. Just borrow a case for an occasional use.

Pack your clothing around the guns for padding and it doesn't look like a gun case so you aren't advertising what you may have to anyone who gets to baggage claim before you

You normally have to go pick up your gun cases at a different door they normally don't come through standard carousel aspect. You also have to check them in where TSA has to visually inspect them and put a tag on there that nobody can open it without you being present. I also got travel insurance so that if my guns didn't show up they would pay for my trip now that was 13 years ago and I was like an extra 40 bucks for the trip for the insurance

Hey, I also use the Tuffpac, I've had it for about 20 years. The great thing about it is that it doesn't look like a gun case. I've packed two rifles and a shotgun gun in mine, guns were all in soft cases inside it on a trip to Africa. Going thru California one time it came out with the other suitcases on the carousel.
Take Care

I've got an SKB double rifle box that I like. The box is not as wide as other boxes because the rifles lie on the top & bottom with a divider in between. The box is secure and works well for one rifle or two. If you pack one rifle, place it in the bottom and put your optics and gear in the top.

I have friends that used this case and the airlines broke both cases open (2 different occasions). I recommend something beefier.