Don't underestimate old guy strength

I'm not that old. Only 36. But my fitness has definitely fallen off a bit in the last few years.

That being said, I still do the "Murph" workout every year. I've been getting gradually slower since my peak at about age 31.

Well, this young guy (23) that works for me started talking some friendly trash about beating me at Murph, and called me old. He's never done Murph before, and he's not a real impressive specimen, but he does some running and lifting a few days a week.

Anyways, I went with it. I agreed with him that I'm getting old and I've lost a step in my old age. I told him that he should come over this year and do Murph with us, even though he'd probably beat me. Then I started training with an extra fire that I haven't had in a while. It's been fun to have some extra motivation, and push myself a little harder, and I think there's a chance that I get a fair bit faster this year.

Anyways, that kid doesn't know the fire he lit, and he won't till memorial day. He keeps talking smack at work, and I just smile and agree with him.
I don't think this crowd even knows what the Murph challenge is…

…even so, I think fewer are in a age group that can even handle doing CrossFit challenges. Of that few even less will appreciate running a mile, or two…or any physical activity that involves hundreds of reps…let alone with weight.

As far as your OP, guys that have held the record for murph don't hold it very long in age. It is what it is. Most of it is competing with yourself mentally.

Talking CrossFit on here falls on ignorance more than likely.

Edit: bro, Mark Zuckerberg's time is like 40 minutes…that should be the real motivation…haha

Last edited:
I don't think this crowd even knows what the Murph challenge is…

…even so, I think fewer are in a age group that can even handle doing CrossFit challenges. Of that few even less will appreciate running a mile, or two…or any physical activity that involves hundreds of reps…let alone with weight.

As far as your OP, guys that have held the record for murph don't hold it very long in age. It is what it is. Most of it is competing with yourself mentally.

Talking CrossFit on here falls on ignorance more than likely.

Edit: bro, Mark Zuckerberg's time is like 40 minutes…that should be the real motivation…haha
A Marine, 2,000 SCUBA dives over 1,000 Sky dives, ran between 5 and 21 miles a day, Mountain Climber, I did a P90X work out for almost everyday starting in my late 40s until 60. All the while never hiring anyone for work on our house, land, and vehicles.
Tried to Scout & Hunt at least 60 times a year. And now almost 70 and a lot of my body parts are wore out. Living your life to the extreme with extreme sports and lifestyle puts extreme wear on your body. There is a lot of Old Athletes and a lot of Bold Athletes, but not a LOT of OLD BOLD Athletes.

A Marine, 2,000 SCUBA dives over 1,000 Sky dives, ran between 5 and 21 miles a day, Mountain Climber, I did a P90X work out for almost everyday starting in my late 40s until 60. All the while never hiring anyone for work on our house, land, and vehicles.
Tried to Scout & Hunt at least 60 times a year. And now almost 70 and a lot of my body parts are wore out. Living your life to the extreme with extreme sports and lifestyle puts extreme wear on your body. There is a lot of Old Athletes and a lot of Bold Athletes, but not a LOT of OLD BOLD Athletes.
Like I said, most of it is competing with yourself.
There's a reason why the Marine PFT gets easier in age brackets. It's why 37 can be "old." People that get out of the knuckle dragging jobs of the military age hard.

I don't see what combat dives have to do with anything, though. In the fleet, that's rather easy. It's BRC that makes it hard. It's not like busting your knees and back on a jump. Yes I was a 0326…

…but as someone who lives that way, it's when you stop that it starts to catch up. So, I try not to stop.

Like I said, most of it is competing with yourself.
There's a reason why the Marine PFT gets easier in age brackets. It's why 37 can be "old." People that get out of the knuckle dragging jobs of the military age hard.

I don't see what combat dives have to do with anything, though. In the fleet, that's rather easy. It's BRC that makes it hard. It's not like busting your knees and back on a jump. Yes I was a 0326…

…but as someone who lives that way, it's when you stop that it starts to catch up. So, I try not to stop.

"…but as someone who lives that way, it's when you stop that it starts to catch up. So, I try not to stop."
Semper Fi
Thanks for your service!

Amen brother! I was a rather extreme athlete in my youth. Football for many years, I was an MVP in track and field for 2 years, USAF mile relay team with decades of running 5 miles a day or 10k's every other day as an officer in the mil, played tennis for 40 years that really did a number on my knees, climbed/hiked "14ers" here in CO for about 20 years, lifted weights for a few years that helped wear the knees, rock climbing and repelling, and not to mention the years I spent working on the farm and ranch from sunrise to sunset.

As the old expression goes, "Its not the year model. Its the mileage." Now, its the year model also. There are no mornings, or even nights, that I don't wake with aches and pains.

I'm not even remotely old but I will add, I don't know where the idea that a man peaks between 18 and 25 even comes from. Maybe for how hard they can party and get away with it 🤣. But I know I am MUCH stronger now in my 30s than I ever was in my 20s let alone as a teenager. And most of the guys I've talked to about this mention the same thing, from 30-50 is/was maximum raw caveman power for them haha.

Of course I was a slow grower too, so that might be part of it. I'm a full 2 inches taller and much broader than I was when graduated high school. Grew another inch taller between age 21 and 28.