Don't all manufacturers test fire their rifles?

projp

I brought this up in the Remington 700 quality thread but didn't get an answer.

Bought a 700 BDL from Cabelas in 300 WM last month. Cases stuck and had to use a good thumping with my hand to extract. Thought it might my be my hand loads so I went way down to min loads...still sticks. Shot two different factory loads, could barely get them out. Cabelas sent it to a local gunsmith and he ran a reamer through it and polished the chamber. Apparently it had a burr or rough chamber.
Don't they pre fire Remingtons at the factory? This problem should have never made to to the sales counter.

Don't they pre fire Remingtons at the factory?
Yes. But typically only a few proof test loads. I doubt they're fired for accuracy and functionality.

That aside, people work there. They're subject to making errors just like the rest of us. You should have contacted the factory about the problem then returned the rifle to Remington via their local rep. You may have got a new barrel out of it.

Yes. You should have contacted the factory about the problem then returned the rifle to Remington via their local rep. You may have got a new barrel out of it.

I contacted the dealer, (Cabelas), hoping to get a different gun. They said they could send it back to the factory and wait close to forever, (my past experience). Remington preferred to have an approved local gunsmith look at it first.
I shot it over the weekend and the problem seems to have been resolved.

yes to your question.this is why we cannot say that we shot it for the first time.they make sure it will fire before its shipped out for sale.

good to hear hope its fixed and never gives you trouble again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.